Scarifying and patch magic.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by hoofy, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Don’t rush yet as the seed is young. See how the weather pans out but apply to high an amount of nitrogen and it will harm the new growth. If need be a min of 6 weeks depending on the grass but as you top dressed that dressing will be feeding the grass so you should see a nice green up.

• Like Like x 1
    • hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
      +224
      Right, hopefully time to start reaping the benefits of all the work I did last autumn.

This was the lawn last September after I'd done pretty much everything I was advised to. Weed feed/scarify/top dress/over seed, and lots of other jobs. 20180922_152724.jpg

And this is the lawn this morning. Nothing has been done since last year and the lawn has been left untouched over the winter.

20190222_081022.jpg

I had a look last week and I do have a bit of moss, so I've bought some iron sulphate and a sprayer. The plan is wait a week until the dry weather has passed and there is a bit of rain in the forecast and then give it a spray. Could someone recommended what weight of iron sulphate I should be using in how much water? My sprayer is a 7l hozelock and the lawn is 80m2.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Depends on product and flow rates of said sprayer.

• hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
      +224
      First off, thanks everyone who gave me great advice six months ago. I worked very hard at the back end of last summer following all the recommendations and it's looking like it's all paid off.

20190408_065327.jpg

It looks pretty lush and it hasn't really kicked off yet, another month and a good feed and it will be like a carpet.

When I started the project I bought a scotts drop spreader and a couple of bags of evergreen weed and feed, which I still have plenty of, but there are no weeds in the lawn so I'm thinking I shouldn't use this product? What should I put on it?

I have a decent hand sprayer if needed and the drop spreader.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        I would normally say it’s easier to stay with Evergreen products as you will have the settings for your spreader.
        They have changed a bit though and while they do a fert only it’s a high N which I’m not keen on as it creates flush growth which can create issues.
        As it’s still early and as fertilisers have no real strong set rules I would say if you want to stick with the easy option and not worry about calibrating your spreader then this is fine.
        Miracle Gro® Evergreen® Autumn Lawn Care

The iron will help to strengthen up your grass and the lowish N will not create a flush resulting in a better blade, less mowing and if like last year we get hit by a hot spell this will not be as harmful.
        There are lots of others but you would need to measure the drop rate before using where the above product will have your spreader rate.
        No need to apply a herbicide feed if no weeds, better for the environment and normally they have a high N to create a flush of growth to aid grass filling in patches where weed or moss was found.
        A standard rule of thumb for nice lawns is a N of 3 is all that’s needed to keep the grass ticking over along with a balance P and K.
        There is a trend where we see high N like 22 which is not what I favour unless the lawn is really poor. All this does is creates a soft blade and if temps went up like last year the grass suffers quicker as it can’t control its moisture content as it’s been forced to grow at a rapid rate. Thatch levels also increase depending on grass types but high N feeds will mean more thatch is produced so each year that needs looking at.
        With consumer products they want to show you the products working, hence the fast growth but it’s not needed most of the time.
        Your other option is a slow release one that can last 3 months and monitor the lawn. Again Evergreen do one.
        Liquid feeds are fine too as long as you understand the application rate but I have tried the very simple lawn feed by miracle gro using their spray adaptor and that was fine but has a short life span and so ups the cost.
        Again you want a balanced feed.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Apr 8, 2019