1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Schlumbergera

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by sal73, Jan 12, 2013.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Aesculus , I was always wondering why this stupid craft , that does not look good at all

[​IMG]

now I do know why :dbgrtmb:....

we need some sunshine to try few of them .

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Not sure why I'm doing this as they're cheap to buy and easy from cuttings, but they germinate really easily (and quickly) from seed...............

3. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337

I don't follow :scratch: what are Longk?

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,015
    Sorry Sal only just seen your post, but I think Aesculus has it sown up.

Me I just did it to see if I could make it work, the Epis grew at a much faster rate than normal and I used to hack large lengths off after flowering each year.
    Not sure what happened now but I think after a few years the Opuntia rootstock started to deteriorate, as if it was having the life sucked out of it and large pads started to drop off under the weight.
    In the end it became unsightly, so I got rid of it, and moved on.

5. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Ignore me - I had a moronic moment!
    What I meant to post (but posted before I finished) was..................

Not sure why I'm doing this as they're cheap to buy and easy from cuttings, but Schlumbergera germinate really easily (and quickly) from seed...............
    DSC_0151.jpg

From my self collected and freshly sown seed they took less than a week to germinate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Aesculus

Cashier
      Ratings:
      +1,337
      Oh I see:) well it's fun to experiment and you never know you might get something interesting do you know what the parents were?

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      Are they not self pollinating/need two plants for successful germination?
      If not, it's a pure white one. If it does need two plants boogered if I know as this was the only one in bloom at the time! The seed pods took forever to ripen though.........

• Aesculus

Cashier
      Ratings:
      +1,337
      Must be self pollinated then, I'm not well up on my Schlumbergera knowledge so they may be self fertile I know a few species epi's are... I'm told that the seed pods can take upwards of a year to ripen

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      That was about it - missed a flowering season.
      It's my first attempt at growing any succulent or cactus from seed, so a wee victory from where I'm sat:hapydancsmil:

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      you are hooked now :dbgrtmb:, did you ever try dragon fruit???

the point with cactus is that are really slow to grow , not to germinate , many cactus variety are slow to grow even in warm weather , that`s why all this little trick .....

if you pop in homebase they may still have all the Christmas Schlumbergera reduced to 40/60p , I never wanted to buy them , but all started with the fact that I was reading that they can survive in a protected site outdoor ....but with the later temperature we are having, i doubt they will survive , mine are in flower at the moment and they are in the greenhouse .

• Coolsox

Coolsox Gardener

Insurance Broker
      Ratings:
      +563
      The true Christmas cactus ( Schlumbergera x buckleyi) is now becoming a rarity. This is true Christmas cactus that was grown by our grandparents. It is recognised by its smooth rounded pads and pendant symmetrical flowers. I used to have a huge, very old plant in a hanging pot. It was left with my parents when I left home and they rapidly killed it!

The Cacti now being sold in place are hybrids of Schlumbergera truncata, the Thanksgiving or Crabs Claw cactus. This species has pads with points around he edges and the flowers have a lopsided appearance. It does come in a far greater colour range though, everything from white, pink, red and yellow and all shades in between.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359281310.369480.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359281322.971583.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Aesculus

Cashier
        Ratings:
        +1,337
        Popped out on my lunch break at work the other day and spotted this hiding in the gardening section at the local Oxfam book shop cost me £1.99 the guy below is obviously delusional but still it's a fascinating little book with a list of the most common named hybrids and an explanation of how the yellow flowered hybrid came about

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0646088327

• Coolsox

Coolsox Gardener

Insurance Broker
        Ratings:
        +563
        Awesome find! How did the yellow hybrid come about? I just assumed it was cross breeding with Epiphylum.

• Aesculus

Cashier
        Ratings:
        +1,337
        Nope no epiphyllum in it :)

The yellow Schlumbergera was finally achieved by B.L. Cobia Inc. and was released in 1982 it was completed by self pollinating the growers most promising research specimen (orange was the closest colour currently in schlumbergera at the time) it took many repeated self pollination's and over 50,000 seedlings until the final selection was made which produced a rather unattractive leggy plant with yellow blooms this intern was crossed with another research variety with a white flower and bush form which produced a seed pod of about 200 seeds 150 of which turned out to be yellow of which a single plant was selected and named 'Gold Charm'

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Coolsox

Coolsox Gardener

Insurance Broker
          Ratings:
          +563
          Interesting. Quite nice to know its not of hybrid origin. I've always liked the yellow flowers more than the pink ones.