Scottish Independance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Phil A, Sep 7, 2014.

?

Should Scotland become independant?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2014.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    82.1%
  1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,381
    I dont think things were ever worked out due to the fact that it wasn't taken seriously, Salmon did and does come over as slightly anti UK, but I dont think anyone realised the following he would get.

If westminster had said no voting until all the details were sorted, can you imagine the out cry from north of the border.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,025
      So, what happens if they get their way and become Independent? What happens when the celebratory whisky runs out?

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      He can thank Cameron for that!

Can you imagine the outcry when it all becomes a total balls up!

As Scrungy (I think) said earlier, independence is what the tories want. It will give them a majority in the House of Commons.
      That said, what about the Upper Chamber?

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      They will probably realise that the 'idea' of being independent maybe isn't such a good idea after all.

Val

• Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,381
        I really dont think even the Tories want the union the break up, it could affect the planned recovery, and only last week it was affecting the value of the pound due to uncertanties about what is likely to happen.

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,025
        Voting YES on the basis of historical loathing is not a logical reason. The future of Scotland and it's people is what matters - only that,
        Jenny

• Agree Agree x 1
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          Looking at the latest opinion poles (re May 7th next year) I reckon that they're counting on it!

I suspect that will continue for a while after if it's a yes vote.

• Like Like x 1
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            It would suit me to have Scotland vote Yes - it would avoid another Labour government wrecking the economy, as they have time and time again, by removing a whole pile of their seats from Westminster. Clearly the Tories could be campaigning for a Yes vote, on that basis ... but they aren't.

But I think it would be a dreadful outcome, and ruination for Scotland as a "country", so if the English were included in the vote I would still want them to stay in the union.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,996
              Maybe the UK shouldn't have offered to give away that fencing until after the referendum result as it appears we might need all of it plus a further 83 miles in a couple of years time

border.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...the-border-if-scotland-votes-yes-9716639.html

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
            • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,089
              What is becoming clear to me is that it's not governments who wreck economies but corporations. Citizens too to a lesser extent. It is now governments task to react to the direction that economies take. A tory government will always be bad for society but more so in the modern world. (signed; Wolfie Smith :snork:)

No matter how much I loath that bunch of cretins I cannot deny the sheer political brilliance of Cameron. He has "in the interests of let's have a hug unity" got senior labour figures doing the legwork and Georgieboy on the other hand winding the Scots up! Genius! If they get independence, it was poor campaigning by Alistair Darling et al.

I agree.

If it's left to British workers it'll take another 300 years to finish. I would give the Israelis a call personally:heehee:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              Yes, didn't used to be like that. Greed and Avarice have prevailed :( That will turn full circle though - people will boycott companies dodging tax like Amazon et al, or break their high street shop windows ... if not this time around then more so next time around.

Global Economy took a nosedive, I can't blame Labour for that (although their de-regulation of Banking, and unhooking the Bank of England, lacked a couple of regulatory controls that would have been handy; that might be hindsight benefited, but I read some pundits who think it was sloppy). Anyways ... Labour should have saved whilst we were in the good times, that would have seriously cushioned the blow of the recession (inevitable cycle of events despite that prat Brown saying that Boom & Bust was a thing of the past ...) but, as before, they spent money like water and consequently built up deficit-problems for a coming generation.

They are all useless though. "No matter who you vote for the government always gets in"

• Autumn bliss

Autumn bliss Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,534
              We will all know a week on Thursday what the outcome is...What the polls have been saying this morning the YES vote has come from 22 points behind to lead..Now that is pretty scary..:frown:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              Or engineered - to encourage all the No voters to the polling booths?

• Autumn bliss

Autumn bliss Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,534
              I dunno about that Kristen..Westminster must be worried because they are going to offer scotland a package in a few days so Osborne said on the tv yesterday:)

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,089
              To be fair that was Thatchers baby. By the time it reached adolescence it looked good according to the accounts. Sadly it went belly up in young adulthood.

Yes and no. For too long it was used as a political weapon. Undecided.

Yes and no (again!). In '97 we had third world hospitals and education facilities. Added to the fact that we had aspirational individuals over an aspirational society (Thatch's mantra of greed is good and stuff your neighbours had well and truly taken hold) which certainly swayed political thinking it was always going to be about the now. Food for thought - would the infrastructure updates of the NHS and education have continued beyond 2008 had we been more prudent and gone about it slower?

That should be good for a laugh!

• Like Like x 1