1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Securing polycarbonate greenhouse

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Aims54, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Aims54

Aims54 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    We purchased a aluminium framed greenhouse with polycarbonate which we put up a few weeks ago and has been ok so far, but yesterday in the strong winds a few of the panels flew out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to secure the panels to the aluminium frame? They are currently held in by several clips along the frame but the panels do still move around a lot. Could do with some kind of waterproof glue or sealant to apply all around the panels but not sure what to use. I've included a photo below to hopefully help as it's hard to describe, but the metal clip does not actually hold the panels is place, I think it's just supposed to stop it from detaching completely

Thanks
    Aimee

[​IMG]

2. Aims54

Ratings:
    +0
    Photo below

Attached Files:

3. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Try some clear sealant on the frame. I have just moved my greenhouse which I inherited from the previous owners ofvthe house and all the panels had sealant on them. Bit of a nightmare to remove, so will probably hold polycarbonate in.

Rusty

4. Aims54

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rusty, if it's a nightmare to remove then it seems to have done the job! Will give that a go :) thanks

5. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Yes it was I broke about 4 panes removing. It looks like normal clear sealant to me.

Rusty

6. Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
    Ratings:
    +2,751
    I have had no problum with the polcarb in my greenhouse using the same clips , but my greenhouse is in a sheltered area in the garden

7. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    I have read about this issue before, and also read that people have used silicone to seal he panels in. My greenhouse is glass but I do have a polycarb coldframe and I watched it in the storms at the end of last year.

The panels literally billowed inwards under wind pressure so I can imagine the clips in your photo would not hold against that.

In the summer I plan to run some batons behind the panels (on the inside) to help stop the billowing and the panel popping out, one across the middle of each panel would I think be enough for me.

If you did that to your greenhouse you would get the added advantage of having extra fixing points inside for tying plants or supports to. Just bolt straight through the polycarb, greenhouse frame and baton to secure, then seal around the polycarb edges.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,611
      If you use silicone go for the low modulus neutral cure one, it's not quite as easy to find but it allows greater movement and sticks well to polycarbonate.
      Alternatively if it says its for use with polycarbonate, then that will be ok.

• Useful Useful x 2
      • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,698
        Now that's a great tip..

Steve...:)

• hydrogardener

hydrogardener Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,789
        From the photo it appears the clips may be upside down. I have the same type of greenhouse with the same clips and have not lost a panel in seven years. When installed correctly the clips fit so tight that they press into the panel and hold it secure. You might check the installation of the clips prior to applying any type of sealant. My greenhouse has survived a few hurricanes and several winter storms without any problems.

clip.jpg

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Apr 10, 2016