1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seed sowing for beginners

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Tara Jane, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,674
    @groundbeetle Not to worry as they are annuals they are in a great hurry to flower & set seed ready for a new generation & they will continue to flower until they are killed by the frosts. I've had them flowering still in November on the balcony! Admittedly they look bad by then but with colder weather the flowers get smaller but can last several days!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +9,674
      Here's a Morning Glory flower from October 2021!
      Morning Glory (Mauve with cerise star) on balcony 10th October 2021.jpg

• Like Like x 4
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,664
        I grow a perennial morning glory, Ipomoea indica, needs a greenhouse overwinter though.
        Not flowering just yet.
        Pic from last year.
        DSC01583.JPG

• Like Like x 6
        • groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
          +438
          My May-sown Morning Glory, Grandpa Ott, has now produced four deep purple flowers with crimson stars, over the past week. They are much bigger plants with bigger leaves but don't have as many flower buds as the February-sown Heavenly Blue, which has grown about another ten inches and has a lot of flower buds, some ready to open, but only tiny leaves, though it is quite tall, nowhere near as tall as the May-sown.

It is only July and I expect the May-sown Grandpa Ott to eventually flower a lot more than the February-sown Heavenly Blue.

Another year I would definitely leave it until mid May to sow Morning Glory seeds. I don't have a greenhouse or anything like that, and it would probably be different for people who do.

They are fascinating to watch the way they climb, and they can decide they are climbing in the wrong place and untwist their spiralling stems and attach them somewhere else.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
            Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
            Ratings:
            +6,780
            My June sowing is coming on but Scotland is a month to six weeks behind the south of England sowing-wise.

• Like Like x 3
            • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +9,674
              Sometime in May is a good time to sow these plants! I always did that. You don't need a greenhouse or any form of artificial heat, just sow them where you want them to grow. They don't take kindly to being moved around & transplants don't always work.
              I agree they are fascinating to watch as they climb higher every day! I've often moved the stems if they are not growing where I want them to grow as well!

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
                +438
                I will definitely be growing Morning Glories next year too, and will remember to not sow their seeds until mid May.

While a lot of my garden is now looking tatty and straggly and has needed a lot of work to tidy it up, the Morning Glories mostly look after themselves, just needing water (they are in pots) and the occasional high potassium (rose or tomato) feed, and occasional extract of seaweed feed. They produce new flowers every morning.

I will try to find out how to collect their seeds to use next year, and will probably also buy some more seeds of different varieties. I will try to grow more of them, and avoid having them competing with sweet peas which got tatty and overwhelming. I have read that Morning Glory self-seed, but I am not sure if they do in our British climate?

72314214-F3E3-4BE0-A8D5-8B79960579A4.jpeg 4A085AF1-52F6-491B-84C0-B05325192D79.jpeg DC1A4EAA-5EAF-4AB9-A7C9-CAB39C343548.jpeg 09D91DF9-EDFC-405B-A27E-0932E5663538.jpeg 97485CA8-559E-4CF7-AAC1-5DD5EC9CA42E.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
                  Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
                • Jocko

Ratings:
                  +6,780
                  My Morning Glory are producing one flower every second day - but they look lovely. The seeds I sowed last week have germinated as well.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +9,674
                    They are lovely flowers, aren't they? :) Glad they are flowering for you! Although I haven't had any success this year I have found a couple of self sown plants on the balcony; one is in a hanging flower basket!!! Not for the first time this has happened! I'd put up a photo but I don't have one - yet! Perhaps if I remember I will take one tomorrow. I haven't seen any flowers yet but no doubt it will flower very soon.

The other plant found it's way into a pot that had a Pelargonium cutting growing in it! I have no idea how it could have got there! I didn't even know it was there till a couple of weeks ago, it's not on the balcony as I planted a lot of Pelargonium cutting in the gardens of my church some moths ago. It's stems are now several feet long! I didn't see any flowers on it this morning when I watering the Pelargoniums.

• Like Like x 2
                    • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +9,674
                      Here is a photo I took some years ago of a self-sown 'Morning Glory' flowering in a hanging basket on the balcony.
                      Morning Glory (purple) in hanging basket on balcony 17th September 2010.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                      • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +9,674
                        Here is a photo I took today of the selfsown 'Morning Glory' in a hanging basket on the balcony. It doesn't have any flowers yet but it will no doubt flower very soon.

Perhaps you can see the first buds.

Self-sown 'Morning Glory' in hanging basket on balcony 31st July 2022.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                        • groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
                          +438
                          @Balc, interesting that they can self-sow in our climate, that the seeds know how to only germinate when it is warm enough and after a cold winter. Maybe yours were sown by a bird or some other creature?

I just watched a Youtube video showing how to collect Morning Glory seeds, and the lady commented that her blue Morning Glories, probably Heavenly Blue, had just started flowering in the fall, in November. It sounded as though she was in America, no idea which state. Her purple Morning Glories, probably Grandpa Ott, were no longer flowering so well having flowered all summer. She commented that her blue Morning Glories were especially beautiful and bigger. Hers might have been different cultivars but they did look like Grandpa Ott and Heavenly Blue. (Heavenly Blue are sold by Poundland in a set of six different seeds labelled for Hanging Baskets, trailing - Lobelia Cascade Mixed Colours, Busy Lizzie, Nasturtium Tom Thumb, Petunia, Morning Glory Heavenly Blue, and Verbena. I didn't get round to setting up the hanging baskets and planted these in tubs, but they would have looked very nice all together in a hanging basket. I have some small wall baskets, but they wouldn't give the Morning Glory anything to climb up).

I am noticing that there is a lot of difference in how advanced they are depending on where I planted them, and the only Heavenly Blue that is flowering is the one I sowed in February, whereas I planted both Grandpa Ott and more Heavenly Blue in mid May. I have some Grandpa Ott flowering in smaller pots mixed in with other things and they haven't grown tall enough to climb and there is nowhere really for them to climb to, but they are still flowering. The best Grandpa Ott are those I planted in a really big pot with fresh compost in mid May, and some I planted in the ground which is scrambling through a shrub. The former is the best, planted in a very big pot of fresh compost. Others were planted in fairly big but smaller pots of fresh compost, with too many competing plants, and they are now doing ok but nothing like as vigorous and tall and floriferous as those in the really big pot.

Now I am wondering if the tiny beginnings of Morning Glory plants in some smaller pots with competing plants (now cut back a lot) will be late flowering when the others have finished, and maybe Heavenly Blue has a different flowering pattern than Grandpa Ott.

• Like Like x 1
                            Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
                          • Jocko

Ratings:
                            +6,780
                            I sowed some "Heavenly Blue" a couple of weeks ago as we had a pyramid planter we had removed Sweet Peas from standing idle. It will be interesting to see if and when they flower.

• Like Like x 2
                            • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
                              Ratings:
                              +9,674
                              Being as 'Morning Glory' is from the same family as the Bindweed they can put up with quite a bit of competition. They also need to reproduce so what better way than to climb up existing plants to get your flowers up into the air & pollinated! They also come from warmer climes than our British one. They may also start to develop & flower later in the season so as to take advantage of their hosts having already having done most of the hard work of getting out of the ground & their heads into the air. They climb very fast as well & make Sweetpeas look like slow coaches! :)
                              Birds have no interest in the seeds so I doubt very much the Morning Glory in the hanging basket was dropped by a bird. No, it probably came from a seed that dropped into the basket after I removed the dead plants last year.

I have grown 'Heavenly Blue' on a couple of occasions & find them totally different to the others. They are much more vigorous & have much thicker stems. Their foliage is a much lighter green than the others as well.

• Like Like x 1
                              • groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
                                +438
                                @Jocko, I found the Youtube video where the lady commented about her Heavenly Blue Morning Glory being bigger and flowering later. At least they look like Heavenly Blue to me. After what she said I realised that my Heavenly Blue flowers are bigger than Grandpa Ott flowers. And the only one of my Heavenly Blue that is flowering so far is the one I sowed in February.

For some reason this video didn't save to my Youtube history so I had to search for it again.

• Informative Informative x 1