1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking a recommendation for the cheapest effective covering sheet for a quarter plot

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Jonathan75, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Jonathan75

Jonathan75 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Apologies if this thread has been done before - I'm looking for the the cheapest effective ground covering sheet, and was wondering if anyone would have an eBay link or similar, please?

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

2. Jonathan75

Ratings:
    +1
    P.S. It's probably more appropriate, even, if it's just an eighth-plot's worth, as it seems part-occupied by underground planks and all sorts. Thanks.

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Is it just for supressing existing weeds (and for how long), or for laying down to plant/grow stuff through?

• Like Like x 1
    • Jonathan75

Ratings:
      +1
      I didn't know one could grow things through like that, sounds a great way of mulching. Yes it was basically intended to suppress existing weeds.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      The 3 that I've used:

Old carpet
      (if your plot rules don't ban the use of it) makes good short term weed suppressant cover can be laid over existing weeds, but synthetic material carpet can disintegrate and leave a massive tangle of threads in the ground. Despite being heavy, unless weighted down a gale can blow it onto surrounding plots, wrecking people's crops.

Free from skips.

Mypex (or Yuzet) are woven polypropylene ground coverings and can be used to supress weeds and grow stuff through. If you lay them straight onto weeds it wont touch the ground, leaving a gap that pests will make their home, wont be an efficient water retentive mulch, and even worse it will cause rain to run off to the edges.

If the weeds are strimmed/skimmed, the ground levelled (best rotavated and raked level), the membrane will lay tight on the surface. It will need securing - I use fencing wire 'staples' made from fencing straining wire (got another 360 metres for £3 at a car boot a while ago), but usually need a few heavy items to hold it down whilst the cultivated soil settles around the 'staples', I use car tyres and small pallets plus walk over it on the line of the fixings.

Have a look at these threads http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/...-sheet-for-a-quarter-plot.103240/#post-972960

Whatever you elect to use initially, growing some crops through this in your first season would help overcome the problem of the bank of weed seeds in the ground that's normally found in overgrown plots. Sheets can be re-used year after year.

Think they were about 50p/m2 from ebay last time I looked.

Heavy duty black polythene (damp proof membrane) will stifle most weeds (it still lets a very small amount of light through), needs holding down in the same way as described above (even more so because if wind starts getting underneath in a gale it will lift more than woven sheets), is impervious to rain which will help kill weeds (but also beneficial stuff in the soil) and if crops are grown through it they require more watering than Mypex/Yuzet.

I use sheets to cover prepared beds (clay soil) in the Autumn so they're not waterlogged when removed in the Spring, or covering partially prepared areas for finishing in the Spring, otherwise they would be too wet to rotorvate early in the year.

Always bought (10 x 4m?) rolls from B&Q on 15% off days, or with something else when 20% off £50 spend vouchers about.

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
      • Jonathan75

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks. This is very helpful.

I am most interested in the polythene. Will that overheat plants if used as a permanent mulch?

Having trouble finding cheap anything. Diy.com seem to have given up supplying this.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997

It can get hot above it during a summer's day (physically noticable if working on it in hot sunshine) and this can increase the likelyhood of susceptable plants grown through it getting powdery mildew.

I'm sure B&Q had it instore last time I looked, will check next time I'm there.

Wilko's Mypex like membrane was a good price when reduced to half price a week or so ago, not as heavy duty as the real thing, but £2.25 for 12m2 (1.5 x 8m) would have provided a good cheap introduction to growing through membranes.

• Jonathan75

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks. Having great difficulty finding the wilko product on their website, I wonder if they've discontinued.

• Useful Useful x 1
        • Scrungee

Ratings:
          +28,997

Yes, because because it's the discontinued stuff that gets reducecd, 99% of their reductions are only instore, depending on time of year, if a product dissapears from their website it often means it'll be heavily discounted instore, you need to watch this thread http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/wilkos-half-price-sale.42517/ or check instore to get the bargains.

• Like Like x 1
          • Scrungee

Ratings:
            +28,997
            @Jonathan75 I saw rolls of black heavy duty dpm in B&Q this morning, £37 for 4 x 15m 1000 gauge and £40 for 4 x 15m 1200 gauge.

They are both on diy.com:

http://www.diy.com/departments/ndc-black-damp-proof-membrane-1000/35628_BQ.prd

http://www.diy.com/departments/ndc-black-damp-proof-membrane-1200/35626_BQ.prd

If you join B&Q Club they will email you a £5 off £50 voucher to use instore, every time I need to spend around £50 I simply rejoin using a new email address and get another voucher http://www.diy.com/bandqclub That would enable you, if buying the £40 roll, to get another £10's worth of stuff at half price.

dpm1.jpg
            dpm2.jpg dpm3.jpg

P.S. 1000 gauge is 250 microns thick, 1 micron = 1/1000 of a mm, so 0.25mm which is a decent heavy duty thickness.

1200 gauge is 300 microns thick, so for an extra £3/8%, you would be getting an extra 20% thickness.

• Like Like x 1
              Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
            • Jonathan75

Ratings:
              +1
              Thanks [emoji3] much appreciated.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
              Ratings:
              +3,698
              I cannot believe I have found something cheaper than Scrungee and I am certain that he must have overlooked the following for some reason. But have a look through ebay..DPM there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+proof.TRS0&_nkw=damp+proof+membrane&_sacat=0

First one up in the above list is 4m x 25m 1200 gauge for £39.49, with free postage. That gives you an extra 10m x 4m for free over what you get at B&Q.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
              • Scrungee

Ratings:
                +28,997
                Good price @ 39p/m2 (B&Q 67p, 60p with 10% card, or 53p if there's another 20% off weekend/voucher) so might get one myself, not for growing through, but for covering up after autumn rotovating to prevent waterlogging delaying planting out if we get a wet spring. I'll often remove it during a mid, dry spell to let weed seeds germinate, then put it back to kill them off.

Allowing for laps, 1 roll should cover about one third of a full size 10 pole plot.

• Rigracer

Rigracer Gardener

Semi-retired. Part-time gardener.
                Ratings:
                +28
                You could always try leaves. At this time of year they are free and will only cost you your labour to collect them. If word gets around your neighborhood you want them I'm sure you will have plenty of takers. Cover to at least a foot deep. They will sink so keep topping up til they stay a foot deep (or more). Then leave it for the winter and let the worms do the work. I promise you will have the best planting soil for miles around and most, if not all but the most persistent weeds, will have gone