1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sheds, sheds, sheds... Argh!!

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Joolz, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
    +491
    That's another element. If you have concerns about condensation and you want to keep stuff in good condition, a single skin shed isn't going to cut it.

Twice now, I've lined out sheds to keep my band and PA gear condensation-free. My first effort with polystyrene insulation seemed a nice idea, but insulation turns out not to be that essential. Best results came from just stapling damp proof course plastic all the way round, including roof and floor - keeps the moisture out, and the gap between that and the wood gives you a basic "cavity wall". Line that with OSB on the inside and you're sorted, plus it's a good surface for attaching stuff to. Just make sure there's a clear drip path down the walls past the floor.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,369
    That's a bit harsh! The climate here isn't exactly gentle but the Keter sheds have withstood 13 years of strong sun, savage winters and scary storms. They're anything but brittle! Credit where it's due....
    :whistle:

3. noisette47

Ratings:
    +14,369
  4. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    Well.... we think we've finally made a choice!! Though knowing hubby & Father in law, that's prone to change at a moments notice.
    @Fat Controller, thanks so much for recommending Project Timber, they have such a wide and varied selection of sizes that we've been able to find one that is nigh on perfect for our requirements. Dad priced up the costs of building it ourselves and as I suspected, given the materials they wanted to use, the price was astronomical! hahaha
    So back to the more realistic world of kit forms, phew.
    This is the one we're going to go for.
    It's the 14x12 Traditional Windowed offset Grandmaster workshop shed
    Grandmaster_14x12_Offset_Door_Workshop_TG_Roof_and_Floor_standard_03.jpg @Fat Controller when your kit arrived, was it wrapped in any way, protected from the elements? I ask as F-i-L wants to order it like yesterday but we still need to clear the area, deconstruct the existing shed, build the base and cut back the shrubbery that will be behind it. We don't have anywhere for it to be stored until all of that is completed so I'm concerned that it would be simply open to the elements and given our weather so far, it's likely to be wet!

I won't be able to start work on the area until Mid July as I have family coming over from Aus and up from Portsmouth on the 6th for a week and a birthday cake to make next week. It could be sitting outside until Mid/Late August before it was built!

• Like Like x 3
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,610
      Oooh, that looks to be a cracker :) Credit for the original recommendation has to go to @Marley Farley who helped me find a shed.

When it arrives, the smaller bits of wood and anything that is untreated (inside bits, basically, are in plastic wrap. Everything else is loose panels, unwrapped. The panel size is such that it will all fit through a normal house door (makes it relatively easy to handle), so you will be able to stack/store it and I would suggest covering it with a tarpaulin (about a tenner from Wickes) just to give that bit more protection.

Other strong suggestions - consider bigger/more butch tower bolts for the inside of the 'second' door; consider bigger/more butch hinges as the ones supplied are cosmetically pleasing and adjustable, but I am not convinced they are suitable for holding such heavy doors. You might find that there is a bit of a gap between the two halves of the floor when assembled - I used a carpet door trim to cover this (see the thread on my shed). Instructions are a wee bit vague, but you will get by if you read and read again - of course, I am here if you need to ask anything at all.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
        +884
        Thank you so much, @Fat Controller, that info is really helpful. All duly passed on to the hubster!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
          +491
          If you need to leave it around a while before you build it, make sure everything is laid flat. I made that mistake with mine. It was only waiting a couple of weeks, leaning against the garage wall, but that was enough to start some bits warping. It still went together with a bit of "persuasion", but it was more of a pain than it should have been.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • mingzafer

mingzafer Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +5
            as a replacement sold by roofing supply wholesalers, not available in the likes of B&Q.

• Glyn Powell

Glyn Powell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +0
            Hi can anyone tell me where I can get this part from it slots into floor then the door slides into this

BC9937B1-1C8A-47EF-93B1-70C0BEDE0819.jpeg

C5A16180-8973-4DC6-8CED-E335AAE4D85F.jpeg

BB345AAB-B16F-49D4-ADD5-EE338955099C.jpeg

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +21,331
            I would start with the shed manufacturer's website and then probably EBay.
            Failing that you could probably get one 3D printed by somebody.

• Like Like x 1
            • noisette47

Ratings:
              +14,369
              Hello Glyn, welcome to GC. If it's a Keter shed, this would be your first port of call....FAQ Then as Nigel says, EBay or Etsy might have some.

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
              Ratings:
              +4,343
              I would also try doing an image search on Google if you can get a clearer image. It's surprising how well image search can work. The top image looks to me the best angle for identification. Just hold phone further away and crop to improve chances of focussing.
              Btw, the problem with 3d printing is that the choice of material is important. I print with pla but that part looks like it might need flexibility - so you'd have to get it in TPE. And that's if someone has the design already set up, otherwise it would be expensive!

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
              At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
              Ratings:
              +49,610
              What type of shed is it? That looks more like a shower screen/screen door/wardrobe door hinge (flat pack, semi-bespoke style); what is the rest of the shed made of?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,988
              I'd probably just see if I could make something that does the same job out out of aluminium or steel and screw it into place.
              It doesn't look a particularly robust piece of engineering.:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • noisette47

Ratings:
                +14,369
                It looks like the part on our Keter sheds as described by Glyn. There are sliding locking mechanisms top and bottom on the doors that slot into the hole. The only weakness on our sheds turned out to be the door hinges. Not bad for nearly 20 year old plastic :)

• Informative Informative x 1