1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot in the dark: divine fragrance!

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by "M", Sep 22, 2012.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Ok, so, I've just stepped out onto my back porch to lock the outhouses and I am greeted by the most divine fragrance! A sort of cross between palma violets and sweet williams.

Yes, I know sweet williams are a spring flower (so that rules them out) and I know palma violets are a kiddies sweetie (so that rules those out too!).

What could be the cause of the scent?

Beside my porch I do have an ecclectic mix of things (fennel, bronze and green; chocolate mint; nepeta; angelica; chive; lemon balm and others) but I don't think it comes from there; I think it is "in the air" and it is absolutely divine!

What could it be, at this time of year? Because, whatever it is, I want to bottle it!!!! I know this is a huge shot in the dark, but .... any idea???? :noidea:

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    A neighbour is burning an incense stick?

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      :roflol:
      Maybe! But, it doesn't have that cloying scent - just, very, very fresh and natural.

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      Incense stick are easily recognizable because the smell wold be under the form of smoke - I wouldn't describe them much as fresh and natural.

• Like Like x 1
      • Sue.

Sue. Gardener

Ratings:
        +49
        My Night Scented Stock is in flower at present. The flowers are pretty insignificant and the perfume only comes at night. I love it. Its easy to grow if it likes the place it is in, and will sometimes self seed. matthiola bicornis

• Like Like x 2
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Thank you, Sue! Maybe a neighbour is growing that and that is what I can smell.