1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I use soil from under a huge beech tree in my veg plot?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Engelbert, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

My quest to improve the clay soil for my new veg beds (and in my polytunnel) continues.

We have a humongous beech tree in our garden. I don't think the ground beneath it has been disturbed for years. Very little grows - I guess on account of the lack of light - and there is a carpet of leaves, nut shells, and twigs.

Have I potentially got my own supply of leaf mould, or at least decent soil, here? I thought perhaps from the years of leaves, shells, etc breaking down that the soil beneath could be good to transport over to the veg beds and polytunnel? Is this something people with the same option do or are there reasons why it wouldn't be such a good idea?

Sorry for all the questions... I'm trying to make the transition from being green to being green fingered :)

Cheers

A few photos to help visualise:

IMG_20200517_185937702.jpg IMG_20200517_190017333.jpg IMG_20200517_190141296.jpg IMG_20200517_190155798.jpg IMG_20200517_190236218.jpg

2. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    The tree will have probably extracted most of the nutrients that have leeched into the soil, making the soil a no but the leaf litter would make an excellent soil conditioner.