1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your climbers

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by PeterS, Aug 13, 2012.

1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    If that's an offer Angelina I would love some! I'll pm you later with an offer when I've been through my seeds.

2. Angelina

Angelina Super Gardener

Free-lance translator and interpreter
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    It certainly is. :biggrin:

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I'm trying Bomarea, from seed, for the first time this year - sowed it just the other day in fact. B. "Fiesta" from Taste eCrater.

Any tips would be appreciated. I've gone with 50:50 compost/perlite. Pre-soaked 2-4 hours. 20C for 3 weeks then 5C for 3 weeks, then back to 20C. Germination in 2 months.

4. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Not familiar with this one, although it does look rather like B.caldasii which is not a good specimen for a pot (according to Charlie Pridham).

He's the man on these! He frequents one of the other forums that you use.

For what it's worth, my B.hirtella was growing in the g/house last year (doors windows open during the summer) at 20 to 30°c. Placed where it was shaded from the sun during the hottest time of day.
    I personally would grow them (depending how many germinate) in pots for a couple of seasons so that you can split the tubers to start experimenting with growing them in the ground.

As far as germination goes, they germinate at room temp in a couple of months........

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Thanks

No need for the stratification then? or "won't do any harm so might as well" go you think?

6. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    I didn't.

As I say though, I'm no expert!

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Not sure how fresh my seed is, so I think I will, in case it has some dormancy. Mine you, then may have germinated during the initial warm phase :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,667
      I am delighted that my Cobaea seed has germinated ... I had no luck last year whatsoever. This year I plan to plait them in three stem trunks.

I love this plant and it loves the sun here. My last one I had for several years, went about 5 meters and had lots of fruit ...

Cobaea, M&F.JPG

Cobaea, M&F plus.JPG

Cobea Fruit.JPG

Cobea Fruit 1.JPG

Cobea Fruit 2.JPG

Old photographs with an old camera but I think I captured the moment ... :heehee:

• Like Like x 2