1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shower Chiller

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by nathan7, Oct 4, 2011.

1. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    I was having a shower this tea time and halfway through the water went cold brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr turned the knob but no warmth I noticed that the junction box outside tha bathroom where the wires go the red light has gone out I dont want to do anything untill I find out what caused it, Does anyone have any idea what the problem is please

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,063
    Could the fuse have blown???

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Or tripped at the main board ? If it has, then you need an electrician to find out why, water and electricity are not good bedfellows.

4. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    I take it its an electric shower?

I wonder has the light not been on for some time?
    Reason being an electric shower has a solenoid valve (Just like a washing machine has for the fill) so if you are getting cold water that means the valve is open, the valve doesn't open unless there is electricity.

There is also a safety cut out, if it gets too hot it cuts the heating element off, but they usually come back on after a few minutes when cold water is still running.

My guess is the shower has just given up.

And it is only a guess you understand.

Yes some folk will have an electric shower that is "donkeys years old" but as a rule they don't last that long any more because of the lime scale build up and build quality.

If there are no fuses gone, no mcb or RCD tripped etc (I doubt it) then best call an electrician.
    To save grief get the same model / same Kw as you have now.
    Anything under 7kw can usually be run on a 6mm cable anything bigger has to be on a 10mm cable, but of course it depends what you have now.

If the shower is 5+ years old its time for a new one.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,191
      Your shower should be on it's own circuit and labelled as such at the consumer unit. As others have said, check if the fuse/MCB/RCD in the consumer unit has tripped first.

• nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
      Ratings:
      +11
      Many thanks to you all The problem was the fuse I went out and bought one straight away

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
      Ratings:
      +6,543
      Well I hope you went and got some clothes on first before you headed off to the shops Nathan :rolleyespink::D