1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sick Bottle Brush - Help please

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Coquet41, May 23, 2020.

1. Coquet41

Coquet41 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

Newbie here but very enthusiastic; gardening has become my go to lockdown hobby

Unfortunately one of the plants I purchased approx 4 weeks ago has been deteriorating and not sure why. I was watering it once / twice daily during the hot snap and have watered it everyday apart from days when we've had a fair bit of rain. The only other thing I considered is that it can be exposed to winds where it is located. It has partial shade under a pear tree but typically get sun from a few angles (aspect pic attached with red X marking plants current location).Any advice appreciated. Really want to get it back thriving

1590243458192..jpg 1590243483446..jpg 1590243744504..jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,613
    What actually is the problem?
    Are the leaves shriveled, its not easy to see.
    Where did you buy it?
    Where are you?

3. Coquet41

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Pete, I'm in Cumbria in North West England; I bought the plant from a local garden centre.

Sorry about the pictures I was trying to get close-ups of the flowering part of the plant. Essentially the whole plant appears too have wilted / drooped since when I first purchased it. Also the leaves have gone dull and the flowering parts brownish whereas the whole thing was green, lush and perky on arrival. I've included a zoomed out picture of the plant currently and one from the garden centre depicting how it looked when I purchased it.

Attached Files:

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,613
    Has it been frosted?
    It was probably forced slightly by growing under cover, if it then suffered a frost it would explain why it looks like that.

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,644
    It needs warmth and sun and time to settle in. You've only had it four weeks, give it a bit of time and don't over water it in the English climate ... I didn't do it here and now it gets virtually no water and is 4 meters tall.

6. Coquet41

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi @pete and @Victoria it was getting a lot of warmth during our hot snap when we bought it but I recall there was one night when frost was expected so perhaps this has impacted it. How often would you recommend watering it? I read somewhere that I should try to water at soil level only too.

I'm guessing cutting it back would be a bad move at this stage?

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,613
    How often to water, when its dry?;)
    And with most of the leaves dead I dont think it will need much water at all really.
    As its planted in the ground, once a week if we dont get rain,

I think you are looking at a lot of dieback , so leave it for now and cut back to new shoots when they appear.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,644
      Never heard of this. I agree with pete. i don't have hot spells and cold snaps thankfully.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,613
        I think if you water at soil level more water gets to the roots, just a spaying over the foliage is useless:smile:

But, so I'm told it does rain in Australia and the foliage gets wet.:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,613
          I think it might be useful to add, bottle brush only flowers early summer, it then grows, you dont get repeat flowering, well not in the UK anyway.:smile:

• Coquet41

Ratings:
          +1
          Cheers both that's really helpful. Usually no need to water in the UK... such is the weather. I'll ease right back on that and just keep an eye on how the plant is impacted

• Like Like x 1
          • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
            Ratings:
            +4,325
            Dear All - I must say that to me it looks as though it has dried out. Maybe the roots hadn't been teased out, or soil not actually soaked after planting. I have found bottle brushes pretty robust, but that is a big plant, and would have needed a lot of watering to the roots to help establish. The soil around looks dry...

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
              Ratings:
              +1,200
              You can get them to repeat flower here, its a case of prunning correctly.
              After the flower fades, on the stem you see the roundish flower buds, just by the very first bud (trunk side) you will notice a change in colour in the stem/bark, prune here, this will initiate the dormant buds, you will get 2 smaller flowers, for each larger flower, prune there again after the second flush to stop the long leader and several bare patches before flowering next year nice and early.
              You can also prune back to these colour change places, when shaping or maintainance prunning, this works on all the currently available Bottlebrush callistemon, even the weeping ones. The other half has a collection of Callistemon, reds, purple, yellow and whites, shes obbsessed with them, but its me that has to prune the FFFF things.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,613
                Thanks @Cuttings I'll see if I can get mine to flower again this year once the first flowers fade.
                I usually prune a bit after flowering anyway but mainly for shape.
                One question, over a period of time do the flowers get smaller and smaller?

• Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
                Ratings:
                +1,200
                They do in this process, but usually revert to size the following season, we did have a yellow one that the flowers seemed to reduce in size over the seasons, We did wonder if it was a natural occurrance of the species, however, sometimes my reactions can be a bit quick draw, on this occassion I applied sulphate of potash, the next season the flowers where back to the origina size, so put it down to potassium levels, so now I feed them as I do my Bonsai trees, september to november I apply a fortnightly dose of a 0-10-10 feed, this hardens them up for winter, and they put on an excellent show the following season, but the 2nd flush are smaller.

• Informative Informative x 1