Sick damson tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Marcus Rowcliffe, May 2, 2020.

1. Marcus Rowcliffe

Marcus Rowcliffe Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help identify a problem with a sickening damson tree. It's a Shropshire Prune, about 6 years in the ground, on heavy clay soil. It has always been heavily attacked by aphids on fresh growth in the spring, but that doesn't seem to have held it back. It has grown vigorously and fruited heavily, although most of the fruit fell before ripening last year. I've pruned rather little, generally around September after fruiting, never in winter.

Now, just as it comes into full leaf, there are patches that appear to be dying - leaves have turned brown and withered on the tree and the fruit is not developing -photo attached. The dieback is mostly restricted to a couple branches at the moment.

Any suggestions as what's happening and whether there's anything to be done about it?

Thank you!
    Marcus

15884252720341496005251.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,738
    Well, at a guess I'd say it was aphids, unroll those green leaves that have curled and have a look inside.

3. Marcus Rowcliffe

Marcus Rowcliffe Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pete. I think you're probably right. As I mentioned, the new shoots have always been infested by aphids when they first emerge, but I'd never seen leaves on older growth being attacked, nor extensive leaf death like this, so was worried it might be some more progressive fungal or viral nasty. I guess it could be aphids transmitting disease?