1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Siting a pond on a sloping garden

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Sian in Belgium, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    Hmmm, trying to explain the layout of the garden is not easy.
    Maybe these images will help

A basic plan of the garden.

It slopes from the high-point north-east, to the low-point south-west
    Main landmarks on this sketch are the drive, the house, with patio to the southwest, the angle bed, and the two veg beds (now a third one has been added below)
    IMG_4735.JPG

This shows the slope on the proposed area. Here you can see the slope along the top hedge (top veg bed just visible bottom left in the photo)
    IMG_4736.JPG

This photo, taken across the garden from the drive, shows the slope down the garden - a similar gradient. You can also see the slight bank down to the drive, i.e. The drive is cut into the across-garden slope. So bringing the pond closer to the drive would mean a third gradient direction would have to be taken into consideration ...
    IMG_4738.JPG

Sorry if I'm sounding a little negative to your suggestions - I'm not, honest!

It's just that I can see the garden in front of me, with all its limitations.

There is also the small matter of scale. There is just one gardener to maintain the garden. She is a 50+ woman, with premature arthritis, and foot-problems - i.e. Me!!
    The hedges that you can see in the photos are not small hedges - they are 2.2 metres tall. It already takes me nearly 2 hours to cut the grass. We have the largest self-propelled lawnmower on the general market, I'm already mowing around 10+ fruit trees, 10+ fruit bushes, as well as contending with the various gradients. There are many areas where the slope is 45 degrees - i.e. when cutting across this gradient, I am struggling to keep a large lawnmower from turning over.

One aim of the pond is to simplify the mowing, so incorporating it into an existing flowerbed is a positive, rather than creating a third island bed to mow around. By keeping it near the top bed, I would be including the lawn cherry and gooseberry bush, meaning 2 less things to mow around....

• Like Like x 2
    • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
      +9,233
      an updated plan of the garden (with a few scribbled notes)
      Image (42).jpg

Hubby has just left for the long weekend away, and my digging-out helper arrives in less than an hour!

• Like Like x 1
      • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
        +9,233
        IMG_4739.JPG
        Initial cutout done

• Like Like x 2
        • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
          +9,233
          Progress report!

My team of helpers (one is a lot more helpful than the other!)
          IMG_4740.JPG

The "turf" has been cut away, and we start to work through the surface layer of soil, full of tree roots. IMG_4742.JPG

Pause for breath, and a little tree-root cutting, when we are about 6" down. IMG_4743.JPG

When the spirit level came out, it became clear that we were working too much down, rather than across the slope. So the shape of the pond was rotated somewhat, to be across the main gradient. IMG_4744.JPG

Definitely getting deeper! IMG_4745.JPG

Starting to put the level markers in - always knew that I would find a use for the old tent's fluorescent pegs! IMG_4746.JPG

• Like Like x 4
            Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
          • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
            +9,233
            a few more photos...

Starting to get an idea of the shape of the pond, and where shelves will go - v useful now for getting in and out of the hole! IMG_4747.JPG

TIme for my wonderful helper to go home, and me to pause for lunch, and think a little IMG_4748.JPG

You can see the tips of the yellow pegs, showing the water level... IMG_4749.JPG

A few wooden planks, to emphasise IMG_4750.JPG

The "spoils of war" - have to put it somewhere for now. IMG_4751.JPG

An idea of how the water level will look from the driveway, and how much below the ground level it is... IMG_4753.JPG

And finally, a view from the bedroom window. IMG_4756.JPG

So, as I break for a quick bite of lunch, I have a hole about 9 foot long, 4 foot wide, and just under 3 foot deep at its deepest.

• Like Like x 6
            • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,089
              Bigger bigger bigger:blue thumb:

• Funny Funny x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
                +9,233
                I've already gone up to my budget limit in butyl liner, and have it behind the shed already...!

• Like Like x 1
                • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
                  +9,233
                  I've gone back into my hole, and done a little shelf forming work...

A gentle slope, where the pebbles will go, leading down to a deep shelf IMG_4760.JPG

On the other side, the corner where the granite sets will go, at the highest point of the bank above the pond, to imply a dried up waterfall.... to the right, a shallow shelf, with a deeper shelf below it. IMG_4758.JPG

An overview shot, again showing the pebble slope, and then the couple of shelves below it... the lower shelf goes all around the deep area.
                  IMG_4757.JPG

@ARMANDII, when you say you tucked the liner into the bank above, I assume this meant you cut away the bank above, laid the liner, then put the soil back. Or did you literally just thread it into the bank, with the aid of a spade to open a channel?

It looks as if I will be on my own for the liner placement. Any tips for this? I'm planning on placing it lengthways over the hole, folded in half, with the lower flap weighed down with the granite sets. Then I will lay into the bottom of the hole, unfold a little, step out of my flip-flops, and place up the other side of the liner. Does this sound feasible, or do I need to beg an extra pair of hands from somewhere?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
                    +9,233
                    Done a little googling, and found a suitable method...

First drape your liner across the pond site - easier said than done!!
                    IMG_4762.JPG

Then it was sandals off, guess where the shelves were, and step into the hole! It's sunny out there at the moment, so I'm using that heat to flex the rubber a little, whilst I enjoy a well-earned cuppa. Then I'll go back out and see if we can reduce some of the worst folds. View looking towards the veg beds - you can just about make out the pebble ramp? IMG_4763.JPG

View from the other side (looking towards the drive) IMG_4764.JPG

...and finally, of course, the view from our bedroom window (had to resist the urge to check that the bed was as comfortable as it looked!!) IMG_4765.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +21,666
                      Did you check thoroughly for stones, sharp items etc prior to placing the butyl? Easiest way to remove folds and creases (you won't shift all of them) is the pull at the edges while you're filling the liner.

Coming along though isn't it! And a terribly good workout if a little tiring on the back...

• Like Like x 2
                      • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
                        +9,233
                        Yes, I checked thoroughly - one advantage of sandy soil is there aren't many stones. The butyl was also delivered in a protective wrapping of liner underlay (had kittens for a few seconds, thinking they'd sent the wrong stuff, before I realised) so I had a 6'x4' underlay - enough to protect the liner on the deepest part of the hole. We did find two more granite sets though, whilst digging it out!

Ok, I'll get a pair of shorts on (in case I need to sort from below), and get the hose out. No selfies, I promise!!

• Like Like x 2
                        • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                          +10,302
                          Its looking good Sian :dbgrtmb:, my one concern is the roots i guess these liners are quite tough :fingers crossed:.

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • Sian in Belgium

Ratings:
                            +9,233
                            The last photos for today - promise!

Water in the pond, almost to the point of overflow. The planned overflow route is the dark line, just to the left of the selection of small tiles. IMG_4766.JPG

Taken from the drive... IMG_4767.JPG

The view from next to the veg bed. IMG_4769.JPG

And the all-important view from the bedroom window! IMG_4771.JPG

I managed to trundle a lot of the excavation soil down the garden, whilst it was filling up. I have been planning on where it will all go for months - but the rest will be my workout for tomorrow, if I can move!
                            Time for a wash, a ton of moisturiser on my hands, as have nothing that needs sandpapering right now, and then cook up some Chinese noodles for tea!

• Like Like x 4
                            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                              +100,836
                              Hi Sian, well, I used both methods. But I mostly used peeling back the soil after pushing the spade into the banks horizontally. Mine was made slightly more complicated as once the liner was laid out and the ends covered by the soil, I laid a "dry" brick wall along one length of the pond about 6' from the pond bank and then filled the void between the wall and bank with ordinary garden soil.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                              • Informative Informative x 1
                                Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
                              • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                                Ratings:
                                +6,899
                                It's really coming together nicely @Sian in Belgium :). You've done an amazing job. It's always good to challenge yourelf I think, you never know what you might achieve :). Have you chosen plants yet? I'm looking forward to more pics :)

• Like Like x 1
                                • Agree Agree x 1