1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Slow growing Cucamelons

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Aldo, Jun 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,318
    I was very curious to grow some cucamelons so I planted some seeds in April and they germinated quite easily.
    I planted them out in May. A few succumbed to slugs, which apparently love them to bits, and the surviving ones have been very disappointing.

In the same amount of time, my tomatoes have grown 3 feet and a few Tromboncino squashes nearly 5 feet.
    The cucamelons have remained extremely small.

I have planted them in good quality compost, mixed with perlite, vermiculite, a bit of epsom salts and fish, blood and bone. I water them regularly, every few weeks adding either seaweeds extract or molasses, which is what I do with all my other vegetables.
    They get a minimum of 6 hours sun per day, I think over 8 actually.
    It has been quite windy and I am starting wondering whether they perhaps dislike wind.

I see from previous posts that some members managed to grow them succesfully (@Marley Farley ?)

Do you think I did anyting wrong?
    Is there anything I might try to boost them a bit?

2. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I've not grown these but your post prompted me to read up. Interestingly it's a perennial and if you dig the root up you can store it in a garage or shed overwinter. I guess potentially you may get them established this year then potentially get a good crop from them next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      I have grown them @Aldo they do germinate very quickly then spend a lot of time doing not a lot then from about now they would reall start growing and getting into a really thick vine with runners everywhere so had them climbing a net.. The first time I grew them in the green house in growbags but they didn’t really produce much fruit. Very disappointing .. Last year I grew them in the ground in the tunnel and I had the biggest crop you could imagine.. I didn’t know what to do with them.. Pickling was not successful but chutney was..there are so many cucamelons you can freeze for ice cubes and eat raw.... Not bothering with them this year... They really need lots of heat and sunshine and food like courgettes do...

For me they were a passing fad I think as I haven’t missed them this year.! ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,976
        I grew them a couple of years ago, as a greenhouse plant, I'm not sure they will do well outside.
        Especially in this half hearted summer we have been having.

To me they were a curiosity that I'll not bother growing again.

Personally I think Cape gooseberry is a much better option.

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,318

Thanks Mike, that is a good suggestion, if they fail entirely to grow this year.. At least, that will give the plants a good headstart next spring.

• Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,318
          Thanks Marley,

So it is kind of normal that they will be slow at first.. Perhaps they stand a chance then, if the weather holds. I planted them in bottomless pots, perhaps that will help.
          But like Pete said, this Summer sun and heat are lacking, so perhaps not.

Actually, you are not the first gardener telling me that one succesfull season of cucamelons is plenty sufficient for a life time :)
          Still, they look quite decorative, and I was trying to make use of climbing edible varieties for an arch and a row at the front of the house. At least, tomatoes and tromboncino squashes are doing well enough.. I wanted an arch with tomatoes on one side, tromboncino and cucamelon on the other and blackberries on top, and now I have it, kind of..

Also, my kid only likes tomatoes and cucumbers, I was hoping he would like the cucamelons too.. My other cucumbers are doing very poorly this year unfortunately.

Well, thanks again, I will wait and hope then. If nothing happens at least I can go for the Sour Cucamelons route, and tell myself it is not a great loss :)

• Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,318

Thanks Pete, I agree that the weather has not been very good over the last few months.
          I hope it gets a bit better over the coming months..

Cape Gooseberries sounds interesting , I like that allegedly they " do well in poor, drought-prone soils, too". I might give it a go next year.
          What do they taste like?

• Like Like x 1
          • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
            Ratings:
            +14,125
            Yes I grew mine in bottomless pots for ease of watering, but in the tunnel... They went nuts last year and I harvested lbs of them.. Mainly into chutney.. Cut them in half and freeze them instead of ice cubes for your pimms...
            I think they need lots of sunshine and warmth and that was why they went bonkers in my tunnel.. My youngest grandson went through a stage of picking and eating them, but went off them before they finished..
            They are more of a fun type veg I think if there is lots of sunshine..

• Agree Agree x 1
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,976
              Well I just think they are more likely to do well outside.
              Obviously they don't taste much like melon or cucumber more of a fruity taste, quite tangy.
              You could probably get some at the supermarket, and grow them from the seeds if you like the taste. A bit too late for fruit this year though.

But they are a tender perennial so over wintered frost free you would have a head start next year.

They like similar conditions to tomatoes.

• Like Like x 1
              • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,782
                I'm trialling cucamelons too.
                [​IMG]

As others have pointed out they seem to be extremely slow growing until conditions are right.

This was planted on the third week of May.

• Like Like x 1
                • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,318
                  Yes, I guess they are happier at tropical latitudes..
                  Having started gardening only last year and having no greenhouse, I might have been too optimistic. Last year everything seemed to grow well, but it was way warmer than the average Summer..

• Like Like x 1
                  • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,318

Good idea thanks, getting some at the supermarket would also a good way of testing if the rest of the family actually like them, given planting space in our small garden is a bit limited. I will give it a go :)

• pete

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +85,976
                    I've planted three spare melon plants outside, we all live in hope.:biggrin:
                    We still have time for it to come good for the next two months, but not banking on it.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,318
                      Thanks for the comparison, mine are the same size, pretty much.. To be honest, they seemed to be growing faster on my windowsill, so probably they like the warmth.
                      Perhaps if the weather warms up a bit in July they will pick up.

• pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +85,976
                      Night temps are usually the problem with these kind of plants, they hate cool nights, which is why they grow better under glass, it tends to hold some of the warmth from the day at this time of year.
                      Soil temps are also a big factor, so always water with water at air temperature or above, not from a tap.

• Like Like x 1