1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Slugs: Nematodes for under floor boards of terrace house?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by ColinK, Jun 19, 2021.

1. ColinK

ColinK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    My daughter lives in a terrace house with no back garden, though there is a grass path behind yard area.

the house is about 85 years old, so probably has earth below floorboards.

she is pestered with slugs in the kitchen and hall (close to kitchen).

it is not practical to remove kitchen and seal all floorboards (where I presume slugs are entering).

Is drilling a single hole in kitchen floor and another one under the stairs then “pouring in” nematodes a possible solution?

Long term solution.
    She is hoping to add an extension plus new kitchen in the next year. Is sealing all floorboards (silicone I presume) a suitable way to prevent slugs in the future?

Any other solutions to consider?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,346
      @ColinK The house I grew up in had earh under the boards as did another property I lived in and from what I remember it was absolutely bone dry under there and not really a comfortable place for slugs. Nematodes need damp soil to work well.
      Perhaps they are coming through ventilation bricks and then into the kitchen. They could also be coming along water or waste pipes into the kitchen.
      I just have this vision of a large slug going "Missus spare a few bob for a cuppa"

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,077
      I tend to agree with Nigel it should be dry under there, there should be a good air flow under the floor.
      Has there been flooding recently.
      Might be worth checking all the air bricks are clear front and back.

I think what ever you do regarding killing the slugs will only have a short term effect until the damp problem is sorted out.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,193
      I sympathise with you @ColinK my son has a similar problem in the living room, his house is relatively modern around 40 years old. We have tried sealing the obvious holes and gaps to no avail. There is an air brick which may be their entrance. Only one or two find their way in now, so not such a big issue as your daughter's.

Have you had a good look outside for holes, is there a drain nearby that might provide a way in. There shouldn't be anything for slugs to live on under floor boards so they must be coming from outside.

Is there a damp proof course? Maybe the soil outside is above this dpc? I would be tempted to dig down outside in the yard to expose the brickwork.

• ColinK

Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks for the confirmations that Nematodes are probably not the solution for under the floor boards.

I will look again at places they might get in, including drains and air brick.

I’m guessing the solution will come when extension is done at which time part of back wall will be removed and kitchen removed.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Getting in under the front and rear doors?

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ColinK

Ratings:
          +3
          I know it is not front door. No trails.
          I know slugs can enter through tiny gaps.

the back door is a modern upvc door, but I will check seals.

• Like Like x 1