1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

small cucumber plants flowering and fruiting early

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by jls, May 21, 2020.

1. jls

jls Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    hi all, fairly new to this so any help greatly appreciated.
    my cucumber plants (marketmore) are in the greenhouse all seem to be growing well, approximately 12 to 24 inch tall. just noticed some are flowering and setting fruit quite low down, some after 2 pairs of leaves some after 3 pairs, is this normal. should i pinch them out or just leave them. i started them off end of feb in house and are now in final position in greenhouse.
    also courgette (green bush variety) are flowering too, sown at the same time and are now in large tubs on garden, is this normal too.
    im just thinking is it due to the mild weather we have had in sheffield over the last few months being in pots i have been able to bring them all indoors when cold weather or frost.
    any help greatly appreciated on both plants.

john

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,193
      Your cucumber behaviour sounds normal to me, I nip off the first few tiny fruit otherwise the small plant puts all its energy into fruiting and then stalls for a few weeks. In the long run they do better and you will get more fruit by letting the plant become established first.

Courgettes are much stronger plants so I let them do their own thing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1