1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Smashing Greenhouse!

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by dave1510, Feb 6, 2011.

1. ismeval

ismeval Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I also have a twin walled polycarbonate type greenhouse and also losr some panels with the high winds - I tried everywhere to get extra clips but only found ones for glass and they were not the same shape as the ones I have ... I was advised to use putty to hold the panes in securely so will be doing that within a few days hopefully ... the greenhouse we bought had a few problems - some of which meant the panels didn't fit 'square' and there are small open gaps in the corners - I did complain many times and eventually got my money back - but still using the greenhouse until I can afford a better one ...
    Val

2. dave1510

dave1510 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update here in case anybody is still watching this...

I have now reglazed my greenhouse using some clips I got from my local garden centre.
    They are these:

[IMG=http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/426/ssclips.jpg][/IMG]

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

which did fit, and seem much stronger than the W clips.

I am going to use a netting screen too.

Thanks to all of you.

Dave :)

3. Dicker

Dicker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    New greenhouse

I have just erected a 6x6 BillyO greenhouse with polycarbonate windows, the windows are secured with plastic strips which snap into a groove of the frame with a lot of help from a screw driver, they can be very taxing to fit but they appear to do the job, had a 60 mph wind the other day and they all held but up here in the north east the winds can reach 80/90mph in the winter so time will tell.

4. Smugdane

Smugdane Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had terrible problems with glass being blown out of my greenhouse, despite trying all the tricks found online.
    Eventually, I came up with a solution that has worked well. Despite living at the top of a very high hill with absolutely no surrounding protection, I haven't lost a pane of glass in the last 5 years, (touch wood).
    To see how I overcame the problem, visit my blog at Grumpy gits and useful tips

5. Smugdane

Smugdane Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How to stop greenhouse glass blowing out.

About five years ago, having endured 3 years of glass 'exploding' out of my extremely exposed greenhouse, (and despite trying all the tricks suggested online), I came up with a solution that has resulted in NO loss of glass since that time (touch wood).
    For details of this extremely simple solution, visit my blog at Grumpy gits and useful tips