1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

smelly pond water

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Gizmo, Jan 22, 2021.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Well, there's nothing to stop you having fish, Gizmo

"A rule is to have 1 square foot of surface area per inch of fish and 10 square feet of surface area for 1 koi. So, as an example, if you have a pond that has a capacity of 2000 gallons, you can hold 57 inches of koi fish (5 domestic koi fish) and 100 inches of goldfish (25 common goldfish)"

• Like Like x 1
    • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
      +851
      Thankyou for your reply would 6 goldfish be to much for the pond I am looking at
      Thanks for your help and advice

• Like Like x 2
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Well, it all depends on the size of the Fish you get, Gizmo. I've found that, with Goldfish, there seems to be a natural rule as to how big the fish will grow with regard to the size of the pond and that they tend to stay at a certain size, but Nature always tends to disregard it's own rules when it feels like it. So, it's probably better to start off with small fish.:dunno:

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
          +851
          Thankyou for your help and advice I thought goldfish where small? I know along time ago I won a goldfish from a fun fair and I didn't think he would last very long but he lived for 10 Yr and he was just in a goldfish bowl indoors. So are pond goldfish larger than they are from a pet shop.
          What sort of fish would you advise on thank you for your help and advice

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,046
          How do you work out the surface area of a pond that is 2000 gallons?:scratch:

Surely the depth would need to be known.:rolleyespink:

How Many Fish Can I Have In My Pond?

The fish that the pond can support will always be more if you have moving water, ie. the pond will be better oxygenated, but you must run it 24/7.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Well, it's been 37 years, pete, since I had to use the calculations for my pond. But I think that to get the surface area of the pond it would be a case of disregarding the volume and then using the basic maths of length times breadth:dunno:

But, anyway, here's what I got on the Net for calculating the volume of a pond..........

"Step 1
            The easiest way to do this is to measure the length, the width and the depth of your pond in feet.

If your pond is not a regular shape you will need to work out the average of all sizes and use this to calculate the capacity.

Step 2
            Once you have all three dimensions, you need to multiply these all together and then multiply this calculation by 6.25.

e.g. a pond that is 10 feet long and 10 feet wide and 2 feet deep would use the calculation: 10 x 10 x 2 = 200

200 x 6.25 = 1,250 gallons (remember this is a guide!)

Pond Water in Litres
            If you require this capacity in litres which most companies now work with, you will need to multiply the number of gallons by 4.5.

e.g. calculate the number of litres by knowing the pond is 1,250 gallons:

1,250 x 4.5 = 5,625 litres.

Converting Litres to Gallons
            This calculation also works the opposite way, to find the number of gallons from the known number of litres in your pond, by dividing instead of multiplying.

e.g. calculate the number of gallons, knowing the pond is 1,250 litres.

1,250 / 4.5 = 277.77 gallons".

• pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +86,046
              Well yes, but my point was that the example given of 2000ltrs seems a bit odd.

Quote, "A second rule is to have 1 square foot of surface area per inch of fish and 10 square feet of surface area for 1 koi. So, as an example, if you have a pond that has a capacity of 2000 gallons, you can hold 57 inches of koi fish (5 domestic koi fish) and 100 inches of goldfish (25 common goldfish)".:scratch:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Agreed, but it wasn't my example:heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                +851
                Hi the pond I am looking at is 500 litres so am I looking for sticklebacks for my pond or minnows thanks for the help and advice

• Funny Funny x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +14,390
                  500 litres? Are you sure? That'll just about support a water snail :roflol: That's 4' x 2' x 2'....The smaller the pond, the more chance of overheating in summer and all it's concomitant algae problems...

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    I used to have Sticklebacks and Minnows in my pond:heehee:, but they seem to have disappeared:dunno:
                    I would say about 5 small Gold Fish would be okay with your pond. One thing with smaller ponds is that you have to keep an eye on them in really hot weather as they can lose oxygen easily and of course Fish need oxygen, which is a good reason to have marginal plants and oxygenating plants in the pond:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      Are you sure you've got the specifications right, Gizmon? 5.8 x 3.8 x 18.5?? Is that in feet and what is the 18.5? is that inches??

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                        +851
                        Thanks for your reply the pond in question might be to long anyway as not thought about space around the shed as we was advised that your supposed to have 18 inch around all of shed for maintenance etc
                        The pond messurements are as follows and used untit converted web site to get result from cm to feet
                        Length 179 cm 5.8727034121
                        Wide. 114 cm. 3.7401574803
                        Depth. 48. cm. 1.5748031496
                        If you have pump. Waterfall. plants won't this produce enough oxygen for fish etc. Or is pond not deep enough? Due to weather conditions. The amount of water is 500 litres according to the picture

Attached Files:

• pete

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +86,046
                        My thoughts, for what it's worth. :biggrin:

It's small but from a wildlife point of view, they won't mind.
                        Small ponds do warm up in hot weather, but with some shade and plant cover that shouldn't be a problem .
                        A water fall would help with oxygenation, plus that gives the chance to add a small biological filter .
                        I'm sure 4 or 5 small goldfish would be able to survive.
                        Freezing in the winter could be a problem, being raised and small.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                          +851
                          Thanks for your reply I think at the moment the pond in question might be too long due to advise on distance from shed as I would prefer the pond to go left to right and not up to down.
                          The pond would be in ground if if can dig x feet down so pond would fit
                          What biological filter would we be able to use we have a hozelock easy clear but didn't really do its job all though cleaned out several times.
                          Are you talking about a different pump or and biological filter on its own. With the old pond we had problems due to alge etc and it was 6 foot x 4 foot x 18 inch high with out the cascade.. So In some respect the pond would have to be eg 4 foot x 5 foot due to the shed