1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sneak Preview of shiney's Open Day

Discussion in 'Events' started by shiney, May 24, 2008.

1. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Absolutely Fantastic well done to you both.:thumb: :thumb:
    All the best for your open day,
    what a garden ,its huge ,you must work like theres no tomorrow, beautiful :):)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,508
      Thanks very much for the lovely comments :o

Just to try and answer some of your questions:-

We have been here for 36 years. When we moved in the garden had not been touched for 12 - 15 years and the privet and laurel was about 40ft high :eek:. The garden was a complete jungle and as we worked our way through it we found some chicken sheds in the undergrowth. It took years to get it into reasonable shape.

The garden is somewhere between a half and three quarters of an acre. It looks bigger because there are so many different 'rooms' in it.

Mrs shiney and I do most of the gardening and Tracey comes in once a fortnight to help us. If the weather is bad I don't do any gardening but Tracey usually works no matter what the weather.

I have a secret weapon for making the edges of the lawn. It is a pair of long handled edging shears. It is harder work than using a spade or half-moon cutter but gets a much better finish. It is an old pair that I sharpen with a very basic carborundum (keep it in my pocket and use it to give a light sharpening as I work) and cut through the soil and grass. Cutting the edge just as you want it is much easier with the shears but has to be done when the soil is quite damp. That way you get a really sharp edge. The mud doesn't stick to the blades because it comes off as you cut. It is not possible to then use them for trimming the grass edges but I have another pair for that.

There are so many Aquilegias because we allow plants to self seed. If they are not in the way they can stay there. You could see in the photos that the veggie plot is full of them. We plant the veggies amongst them and the other self seeders. Last month we had hundreds of Cowslip, primroses and primulas that have spread themselves around the garden. I'll put up a separate thread of them later.

Here is a photo of part of the veggie plot with Aquilegias and Nigella that have self seeded. You can just see the artichokes in the bottom right-hand corner.

[​IMG]

The Aquilegias are always interesting and tend to crossbreed and produce different shapes and tones each year. As there are so many we just dig out whole, mature, plants and give them to friends who want them. Here are a few close-ups that I took. We have all shades of blues, purples, pinks and whites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the occasional sport.

[​IMG]

This one is a posh one (Adelaide Addison) and never mixes or crosses with the others.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
      • Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
        Ratings:
        +213
        Who's going then ?;)

• Like Like x 1
        • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,015
          Absolutely brilliant Shiney. I love it. I do like colourful flowers so much more than those Chelsea gardens with their arty farty stainless steel and glass sculptures. I would be visiting if I was closer.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
            +15
            Fabulous Shiney,got my fingers crossed for you to have good weather,have a great day.:thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
              +6
              Shiney - the garden is looking utterly lovely. Do I also see plain open country views to one direction?

Lucky man!

I hope that the weather holds for you today - give that wooden carving a bit of a rub and make a wish!

Best of luck with the fund-raising - I'd offer to serve the teas if I was closer.

Jolly well done on a magnificent garden and a worthwhile cause.

Kath x

• shiney

Ratings:
              +118,508
              Thanks everyone,

Cookie, we have fields across the road in the front and also behind us and can see the next villages in both directions.

See you later, BM :thumb: :)

• Banana Man

SuperHero...
              Ratings:
              +213
              Morning morning ! rain over night but hoping it holds off.

:D:D:D

• Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
              +342
              Wow Shiney , your garden is a credit to you both,best of luck for today .:thumb:

• takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
              +40
              Just lovely Shiney, you must be so proud. Hope everything runs smoothly for you, have a great day!!:thumb:

• Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
              +6
              Looks fantastic shiney, a credit to you and Mrs S. I love cottadge gardens, shame im not nearer or id have visited.

You do edges with the same method I use, intrestingly though I find shears faster than a half moon edger.

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
              Ratings:
              +28,512
              Blooming fantastic Shiney:thumb::thumb:, wish we could come.
              Could you just roll it up and drag it down to Dorset!!:D

• Banana Man

SuperHero...
              Ratings:
              +213
              Well I can confirm that Mr and Mrs Shiney and garden are as lovely as I always expected them to be. What a great morning and we came home with some lovely new plants and a cake to squeeze in :D Some really hard work went into this garden for todays event and it certianly shows. Thanks ever so much for the invite it was great to meet everyone. I hope the charity takings were good despite the weather:( Oh, and I found my new hideout, a very snazzy oak built summerhouse:thumb::D I still can't believe how huge that field of peas is:eek:

• shiney

Ratings:
              +118,508
              Thanks for the very kind words Bananaman :o. How did you manage to get such a lovely wife and kids? ;) :D

Thank you for being among the brave few who came out in the morning in the torrential rain to support us. The afternoon was not as wet as the morning and, although we haven't done the final tally, we seem to have made about £400. :thumb:

this sum will increase over the next few months as I sell some of my veggies and Mrs shiney sells more plants. She sold a lot of plants but there seems to be just as many as before. I'm just about to dish up dinner for ourselves and some of our helpers. Then it is 'feet up time'.

Have a good evening and Bank Holiday :D

• Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
              +35
              So sorry to hear about the bad weather for your Open Garden, Shiney. You and Mrs Shiney put so much effort into it, as did the people who baked cakes and helped out. I hope you still managed to take some pics so that the rest of us can join in belatedly.

Nice that you and your family went, BM. We just missed meeting both you and the Shiney family when we were over last year, fingers crossed that we can manage it next year.

Shiney, do you always have your Open Garden on the Bank Holiday Sunday in May?