Sneak Preview of shiney's Open Day

Discussion in 'Events' started by shiney, May 24, 2008.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    £400.00 !!!!

Well done the Shineys! :):thumb:

Congratulations you two. That is really brilliant.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,287
    Thanks for the congrats :o :)

Kedi, I don't think we have opened it on the Bank Holiday before but it is always around this time.

I feel sorry for the charity that the weather affected the turnout because we would have taken a lot more money, but I'm sure that they will be pleased with the result.

3. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Joffy said on the way home that ..."that was a very nice garden centre wasn't it ":D

4. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Well done Shiney!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

5. shiney

Ratings:
    +117,287

Mrs shiney is falling about laughing :D :D

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Shiney such a stunning garden you have there it almost had me lost for words...well I did say ALMOST!:D

It was wonderful of you to share your garden with other people for the day and us too on here I dare bet people went home thinking 'wish that was my garden' I know I would.

Only think that is missing in your garden is me I could spend weeks in it and be one happy camper indeed. ;)

Well done to you, Mrs.Shiney and of course Tracey you have all done a brilliant job not only with the garden but to raise so much money for charity bless you all.Hel.xxx.

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    :thumb: Well done Mr & Mrs Shiney.. £400 is not to be sniffed at & in this weather too, amazing what that will do in the charity..!:)

:thumb: A big" pat on the back" should go to Mr & Mrs Bananaman for actually getting there & representing GC...! :D Kids are just the best... Their comments are so innocent, but speak volumes..!!:D Glad everyone had a nice time despite the weather...:)

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    :thumb:Well done Shiney under difficult circumstances you raised a fabulous amount the charity will be well pleased.:thumb:

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,240
    Well done Shiney:thumb:, if you do it next year I will send loads of seedlings/plugs for you in advance.
    As we couldn't get to you we went to a village gardens open day at Sydling St Nicholas north of Dorchester and had a look at their gardens, fortunately although windy the sun came out. I could see a lot of work was involved and I could imagine the work you put in.

10. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Shiney, only just caught up with this. I'm so sorry the weather was bad for you.

What a fantastic garden you have. It would be too much for me but I wouldn't mind living there & employing a gardener!!:)

You have done amazingly well, so good of you to share it too.

Wish i could think of words to sum up how beautiful I think it is. I loved BM's sons(?) comments, lol. just goes to show how good it is.

cheers

11. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Great photos shiney, it looks absolutely lovely.
    I love your aquilegias too, they certainly look better in big groups than my lonely one (must get some more). Can I ask, do you have trouble with slugs? Mine has nearly no leaves left, poor thing!

12. shiney

Ratings:
    +117,287
    Strongy, thanks for your very kind offer :thumb:. We shall take you up on that :). Mrs shiney was looking on the internet today for details of plug plants as she has never had them before. All the plants she has propagated have been from ones in the garden. We have hundreds of them still left (she propagates a lot, just for fun) and so we are opening again on Saturday for a couple of hours as more people want to buy them.

Claire, we get loads of slugs but they don't eat the aquilegia. They find some of our other plants much more tasty :eek: :). Last year they destroyed 100 runner bean plants and we had to grow them again. They also took 90% of our courgette plants. This year we have been using slug pubs and they have been quite effective. I can send you a packet of mixed aquilegia seeds (from our plants) if you want.

Thanks all of you for your kind words.

13. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Shiney can I pop in on saturday for the boys fluffy dog :D Thanks for the plant info btw:thumb:

14. shiney

Ratings:
    +117,287
    Hi Stu

Yep, no problem :thumb:. It would be best if you made it in the morning. If you wanted one of the verbascum Chaixii I could dig it up for you as we've got plenty. :)

See you then.

15. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow Shiney what a beautiful garden. I hope mine looks like that in a few years, you must spend a lot of time in it. I hope the open day goes well.