So Excited.... First Ever Greenhouse!

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Irmemac, Jun 20, 2017.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Noticed your earlier comment about wanting to have some hanging baskets etc next year.

I purchased one of these 20 fuchsia plug plants collections which needs growing on in the greenhouse for a month or so.

They are now trailing down both a hanging basket and two tall tubs, and like the picture shows, covered in masses of giant blooms, a real showstopper and a welcome alternative to the usual petunias etc.

Fuchsia 'Five Star Giants Collection' - Hanging Basket Plants - Van Meuwen

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,478
      About hanging baskets - only use the metal "plant support" type to hold up hanging pots. NOT those green things. They can't take the weight. I lost a lots of plants this way.

The metal plant supports hold lots of weight but I also now have heavy duty curtain rods running front to back - see those holes at going up to the peak at the back and front of the greenhouse? I slip strong cord through the curtain tube then tie each end through those holes. Holds lots of hanging pots. Some stay in there and others then migrate outside when the plants on the floor start gaining height.
      I'll look to see if I can find a pic that shows this... SDC10063.JPG

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
      • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,686
        Ricky - they are beautiful! Definitely adding them to my list for next year, as that is one of the uses I want for my greenhouse. Also, thank you for the useful website. Lots and lots of goodies there, and I've bookmarked it for future use....:heehee:

Lori, great idea. Your advice is very timely as I have been trawling the web to buy 'those green things' without success! I love your curtain pole idea, and that seems a good secure way of hanging baskets. I've also been twisting strong words behind the nuts to hang light things like an LED lantern and rubber gloves for slug patrols.

Can I ask how your greeenhouses have fared in high winds? We get a lot of high winds here, and in order to get the light I have had to put my greenhouse in a fairly exposed part of the garden. My husband has used rawlplugs and fastened the base to the slabs he laid, but I'm not convinced the panels could withstand a good Scottish wind!

I am very grateful for all the tips and advice people have given me on this thread. Cheers to you all :Wino:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,478
          Mine have only been subjected to 100 to 120k winds. They didn't budge or buckle, they just flex and may make a little noise but you'll never have to worry about them breakkng. Did I mention that they block uv? Good place to read a book and not get melanoma :)

Oh, and the green thingies are grezt for light weight items. I use them to secure my solar powered stuff's wiring. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,686
            Sounds similar. We get 70-90mph sometimes here. Didn't know they block UV. That's good to know, as I have already been spending time reading in there!

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,478
              Forgot to mention. In a high wind keep an eye on your vents. Better to clamp them down than see it stressed.

• Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,686
                That makes sense. I was a little concerned by how loosely they seem to fasten. First night we have high winds will be a long one for me!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +30,478
                  Go and sit in there with some stemware. You'll have a hoot. Worth getting wet on the run out and back in for refills..or hire a cabana boy :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,686
                    :Wino:

• Funny Funny x 2
                    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                      +8,083
                      Hi @Irmemac . I have a Rhino greenhouse with automatic opening roof vents. The greenhouse came with "locks" for the vents for during the winter or if gales are forecast I'd employ them. You disconnect the automatic opening thingies and then lock the vents tight which I have found are really good. Living in Scotland too plus I'm quite high we can get strong winds and so far :fingers crossed: my greenhouse has had no damage after 3 winters. Maybe your make of greenhouse have similar "locks" or perhaps you could find out from the makers of Rhino greenhouses if their locks would fit your greenhouse. I have double roof vents as my greenhouse is 8ftx20ft and they do a great job plus peace of mind!

• Like Like x 1
                      • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +1,686
                        Hi silu, and thanks for the information. I've compared Rhino and my Palram automatic opening vent, and mine does not lock. I think this will be a case for my inventive husband, as when the vent is closed it does not feel particularly secure. I'm glad to hear your greenhouse has survived 3 winters! If you don't mind me asking, what part of Scotland do you live in? I saw you mention igloo in your profile, and thought that at times (especially this summer) that term could have applied to any part!!

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • silu

Ratings:
                          +8,083
                          Hi @Irmemac , I live in the east of Scotland in Fife. I did live in the west for a short period of time but moved back east again 16 years ago. Glad you have a inventive husband....i definitely don't:heehee: so thank the lord that Rhino have locks.
                          Sure you'll enjoy your lovely new greenhouse, mine is absolutely stuffed full with Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Chillis and Sweetcorn plus various other bits. I almost need a machete to get into it atm. Most things I grow in soil beds in it plus like CanadianLori I use every available inch so have a variety of cherry Tomatoes in hanging baskets in it as well! Despite being quite big it's TOO SMALL! I don't think there is a person alive who has a greenhouse who is quite happy with the size of theirs, you always want bigger. No doubt after you have yours groaning with things you'll start to plan a mark 2 greenhouse!

• Like Like x 2
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +1,686
                            Fife is a lovely part of the country. i always think of the pick your own fruit farms in the east. We have very few over here - probably because of the weather.

Sounds like you get great use out of your greenhouse. I'm feeling very inspired by all the things you grow in yours. Despite just getting it, I was just thinking yesterday about how small it actually is. Going to have to wait a while before suggesting another one though!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • silu

Ratings:
                              +8,083
                              :) Yes many parts of Fife are lovely altho some much lovelier than others! Are you near Glasgow or on the West coast? You'll be wetter than us but a bit warmer during the winter I'd expect.Not sure how you plan to get water to your greenhouse and whether your new "baby" has guttering? Having a clever DIY husband I'm sure he could devise something if you don't have already. I have 2 of these below ,kept full from rain coming off the greenhouse roof, which means A you don't need to supply/carry water to your greenhouse, B you are using rainwater which I always prefer to use and C during the times you will be needing water it heats up a bit in the butts so you aren't having to use really cold water.
                              If by some miracle:rolleyespink: it's dry for ages and the butts get emptied I drag a hose to them and fill them back up again.
                              The ones I have I bought from Aldi and are fine. I made the mistake when I first got them of completely emptying them before refilling and 1 blow off it's stand and had to retrieved from the field opposite :doh:so always best to keep some water in them. Aldi will probably have them or similar for sale again next Spring.
                              [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +1,686
                                I'm just north of Glasgow, so it's wetter, but also west enough to be plagued by midges :gaah:. You're right about it being slightly warmer in winter though. Thanks for the information about a water butt. I haven't addressed that yet, as I have guttering, but haven't organised collecting rainwater, which, like you, I would prefer to use for watering. The greenhouse and trimmings have been so expensive I didn't want to get yet more things! However, as it is so wet over here it will have to be sorted out soon. Great advice about not emptying it - that's exactly what I would do!

• Like Like x 1
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1