So It Sstarts - Green/Black Fly!

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Jenny_Aster, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Jenny_Aster

Jenny_Aster Optimistic Gardener.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +933
    It really was shocking to find Strawberry Hill that lives on the wall by our patio door completely full of green fly. I guess this is the start of the season, and so far I've not seen any of their predators. We were awash last year with ladybirds and spiders so I'm hoping they are busy somewhere reproducing. But rather than spraying the greenfly (I've got a spray bottle of killer in the shed, it's years old), which I'm desperately loath to do, Strawberry Hill got a full-bore drench from the hosepipe. It does look like flies have been washed away, but no doubt in a few days they'll be back again, and then they'll get another drenching.

How I hate the things, but I guess without them we wouldn't have other creatures, I suppose it's their garden too. Just wish they weren't so destructive on young shoots, such is their nature.

Sorry rant over, but it'll be interesting to hear how other rose lovers manage greenfly.

• Like Like x 2
      Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +18,363
      Strangely, although they are present, I've never found them to be a big problem in my garden. Maybe because there are so few of them that's why I see so few ladybirds too.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
      • Jacquiscrap

Jacquiscrap Gardener

Manager At Theme Park
        Ratings:
        +90
        Funny that’s the one pest I’ve not seen yet. But I did see quite a few ladybirds the other day so perhaps they has a feed.

• Jenny_Aster

Jenny_Aster Optimistic Gardener.

Retired
        Ratings:
        +933
        Yes, that's why I was shocked.