1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

So what do we think of the new Labour party leader??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Val.., Sep 12, 2015.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    It is rumoured, Woo, that her Majesty has been known to Air Guitar to the National Anthem while Phil wears his leathers and Head Bangs on the balcony.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I doubt if he's been to the Chelsea Flower Show, PP, which is a shame because I'm sure he would enjoy it:snork:. Fashion interest in what he wears etc is irrelevant

To be honest, I don't think him doing either in the future will matter:dunno: You can't change your views regarding how you feel about matters just to please people, and so any back down by him in singing the National Anthem, etc, would be merely lip service and a deceit to his personal beliefs and everyone would know it.

I think you're being a bit optimistic regarding the Media. They will praise and give a measured overview of any celebrity one minute and the next will pull them to the ground on the slightest whim or rumour.

The day you or I, Scrungee, start thinking like that is the day we need to visit the Vet's and take a shilling.:doh::heehee:

He's not the only Labour MP with strong views and there are many good MP's out there who would make great changes in present policies. But you have to remember that his participation and nomination in the Leadership competition was not done with any thought of the MP's who nominated him that he had any realistic chance of winning.
      So he wasn't brought to the fore by a national wave of enthusiasm believing him to be the Messiah of Change in Politics:dunno: Nor was he voted in by the majority of the General Public. The precise number of votes for Corbyn was 215,417 against the number of UK population of around 66 million. So there's been no great wave of Labour voters putting Corbyn on their shoulders to raise him to power, only a small percentage of politically involved Labour extremists [some only having days in the party having paid their £3, with that casting suspicion on the integrity of their votes]. I've been a long standing Labour voter, voting at every election, but should Corbyn still be Labour Party Leader I, and I suspect many millions like me, will not vote Labour.:nonofinger::coffee:

• Like Like x 1
      • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        :goodpost: I wish I was clever :doh:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836

Aye, Freddy, and looking back on my Life and the innumerable mistakes I have made, I wish I was clever too:dunno::doh:

• rosebay

rosebay budding naturalistic gardener!

Full Time Person....OK, pensioner!
        Ratings:
        +1,162
        I note what you say but it does feel like you are trying to undermine just how remarkable (not to mention somewhat unpredictable) his victory was in becoming the Labour leader.

Not so long ago he was an outsider so does it not strike you as quite a feat?

Do you not sense that this sudden and dramatic change has become instrumental in awakening political interest?

He is returning meaning back into what Labour represented, i.e. a left wing party so those who walk away will just be showing where their allegiance lies since it is no longer a diluted version of the Tories. Hallelujah to that! [​IMG]

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        Hallelujah to defeat?

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          No, RB, it doesn't. What I'm trying to do is get past your idealistic enthusiasm [nothing wrong with that!] and get you to put some realistic perspective in your assessment of Corbyn's "feat".
          The vast majority of the Labour voting public did not take part in the vote.....that's the point I'm trying to make. So only a tiny percentage of Labour voters, and the majority of those being far to the Left, put him where he is now. If the situation had been that all of the Labour voting public had taken part in the vote for the Labour leadership then Jeremy Corbyn name, beliefs and policies would been dismissed. It reminds me of many Union strike votes, and I've seen and taken part in a few of those, where a tiny minority made lot of noise, the majority stood back, and when the vote came only the minority voted and the strikes were on, with the majority not voting for various reasons.

• Like Like x 4
            Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
          • rosebay

Ratings:
            +1,162
            Hallelujah to restoring the Labour party back to being left wing again...yes, if you like, overcoming its diluted Tory takeover.

• rosebay

Ratings:
            +1,162
            I consider myself to be a realist so, yes, I know Jeremy is far too left for many who support Labour. I am just so pleased that he is where he is though....it seemed this much would have been impossible. However much you want to downplay it, his vision is shared by many....maybe not enough but it is still inspiring to get this far.

There is a saying..."if it's necessary, it's possible"

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
            Ratings:
            +12,508
            Sorry Rosebay, but I think you're living in a dream world.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • rosebay

Ratings:
              +1,162
              "You may say I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one..."

Also, did you read my post above yours just now #159? (I am not so niaive).

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              My view of Corbyn is not from "a want to downplay it" but from a want to put things in perspective.

In reality, RB, the "many" is a few when in reality you realise just how many long standing Labour Voters disagree with him and feel uncomfortable about him being Leader of their Party.

More like:

“If it’s important you’ll find a way. If it’s not, you’ll find an excuse.”

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Freddy

Retired - yay!
                Ratings:
                +12,508
                He wasn't the same without McCartney. 'Get Back' seems more apt :biggrin:
                I won't be posting any more on this thread, I've said all I want to.

• Like Like x 1
                • rosebay

Ratings:
                  +1,162
                  Maybe you are right...do these long standing voters favour Labour pre Tony Blair I wonder? That's when it become 'new' Labour i.e. a dilution of the Tories.

I don't see anything too far left in wanting to combat austerity, getting better housing or not wanting the NHS to be privatised. These form part of the main agenda.

• Like Like x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    There are very few long standing Labour Party voters who, having seen Blair for what he is, favour him in any way. Nor, do they like the style of the other leading MP's who took part in the leadership race, as they believe them to be out of touch with the views and wants of the majority of Labour voters. And therein lies the present problem.....The Labour Party is in a downward slide, has lost it's way, the leaders are unconvincing and lost touch with what Labour is about....which, as History has shown, is when the extremists come into power.
                    When you have Labour Leaders being asked a direct question, speaking a thousand words and not actually having said anything while not answering the question then they're automatically compared to the Tories who are past masters in that art, and that has been happening for too long to reprieve what was the contenders for Leadership.
                    I think it was a continuing evolution of the vices of "New Labour" where Labour Party Leaders began to think that when putting forward policies, speaking to the Public and the Media, that "Politic Speak" [uttering thousands of words and actually saying nothing] was the way to go. So increasing we have become disillusioned with them, leading to the disastrous last General Election where we distrusted and disliked the Labour Leaders as much as we did the Tories. Hence, like it or not, we had an unelectable set of Leaders and weak, vague, policies unable to understand or believe that they were the problem not the Tories. Now, to make things worse, we have a far left Leader not voted in by the vast majority, with policies not liked by the vast majority of Labour voters, which means if he is still the Leader of the Labour Party in 2020, [at the age of 71], that is a cocktail as unelectable as in the last General Election.

But that's where you seem to be saying/thinking that such policies are only the domain of the far Left!!:dunno: All the UK nation want that, the Labour Party [mid right, centre, far Left], the Social Democrats, most of the Tories, and all the other parties want that!!! So it's not something new and not just belonging to Corbyn and co.

• Informative Informative x 1