1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Soaker hose /drip watering. How do you renew compost.

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Delmo, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Delmo

Delmo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When you have soaker hose or drip watering setup on raised beds. So you have to move all of it at start of next season to renew some of the compost.soil.

Currently manually water because of reservations about using irrigation and having to move it all. How does anyone get round this.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,046
    Assuming this is about vegetable growing then all I do is rotate my crops in the normal way, I leave the soaker hose in place.

There is an exception where I grow runner beans, I have a permanent frame and grow in the same position each year. Sometimes I change the soil for the beans just digging a trench in winter and adding lots of organic matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Hi,

Don't think everyone replaces the soil in raised beds each year, sounds very wasteful.

What size and how many raised beds are you talking about ?

Generally its a case of adding a layer of good compost/ manure each year and letting the worms etc take it down into the soil, along with crop rotation as @JWK mentions.

Raised beds do need more watering as its so much more free draining, but is manually watering such a chore if you only have a few smaller beds ?
      We find manually watering keeps you more in touch with the plants/crops/pests/soil.

• Like Like x 1
      • Delmo

Delmo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Hi.

Thanks for your response

As i mentioned i said renew "some" of the compost not all.And yes understand the benefits of manual watering in concerns of monitoring the soil and plants. I currently have a small amount of raised beds. 7 4x4ft beds that hold around 600l compost each. I work away from home at periods and need to think about a more automated approach at times. Just wondered i guess if anyone thought that drip lines or soaker hoses interfered with attending to the bed when changing soil and so forth.