Socrates cucumbers, only outside??!!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by adamadamant, May 10, 2024.

1. adamadamant

adamadamant Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Help suddenly needed! I grew Marketmore last year but on my brother's advice switched to Socrates for this year as he infinitely preferred them. I now, only now, have picked up that these are technically indoor cucumbers. Mine are 10 inches high in the greenhouse and looking forward to moving to the allotment this weekend - will they be OK? My allotment is full south facing and very sunny, also sheltered. I am new to this and feel anxious also about them being smooth skinned which means they are starting to sound a bit tender and wimpy to me! I can probably direct sow some more outdoor seeds if necessary but need to get moving. Thank you all

2. Scroggin

Scroggin Gardener

Mechanical Technician, Retired
    Ratings:
    +239
    I grow Socrates in a large cold frame and they thrive, I've never grown them outside but I've been tempted to, I'd say that they'd be ok, the season might be shorter but if you've got spare plants it's worth trying. I'm trying a new variety called Suprina which is a smooth skinned variety which it says is an outdoor variety.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,633
    They will need protection outdoors at this time of year. Depends where you are located but in the south east we could still get cold nights which are fatal. They might not die but can sit and sulk for weeks, later sowings will catch up and overtake

4. adamadamant

Ratings:
    +3
    I am in the south east too so I take your point. Ok thanks, new plan. Keep them in the greenhouse for a bit longer, nurture the spares in case of failure, buy packet of outdoor ones and sow direct now! thanks guys

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,633
    Even in a greenhouse it might be too cold overnight. Mine are still indoors on a windowsill and won't go out till later this month depending on the forecast.

6. adamadamant

Ratings:
    +3
  7. Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,628
    I've planted mine out too early plenty of times before, so I'm not sowing my outdoor cucumbers till the last week of May, they'll go out some time in June. Plenty of time to sow again or get another variety should you wish. I'm just doing gherkins outside this year though

• Like Like x 1
    • adamadamant

Ratings:
      +3
      too eager you see. This is how we learn. I'd have had them out in March if I could! So keen!

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

Ratings:
        +46,633
        If you have more than one why not try some in the greenhouse, you may be lucky if this current heat wave continues.

I make a little mound when planting cucs, so the roots are not sitting in soggy compost, and take great care not to splash the stems when watering. I also sink a plastic bottle with the top cut off and a few holes at the bottom, sunk into the soil next to the plant for wayering, to encourage the roots to go deeper.

Once established and growing rapidly cucs are OK but to begin with they are suscto wilting and moulds.

• Like Like x 1
        • adamadamant

Ratings:
          +3
          Roger that. Thanks for the tips

• hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
          +734
          A professional veg grower gave me a tip with growing cucumber as you are absolutely correct John until established it is really easy for young Cucumbers to rot off if too wet. He told me to get a handful of straw or similar and put that in the planting hole then plant the young cucumber on top so its roots are going to grow through the straw. It works for me and :fingers crossed:have never lost a plant since doing this. Pretty similar to you method of avoiding soggy compost!

• Like Like x 1
          • Adam I

Adam I Gardener

Hijinks
            Ratings:
            +135
            I grew telepathy a "greenhouse" cuce outside and had enormous yields. i got a 44cm one even, width of my arm. was very spiney but no problem.

• Like Like x 1