1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Soil warming cable - Propogator

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Steve R, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    I've ordered a soil warming cable today, so should just get it before Xmas.

Does anyone know if I should use builders or sharp sand in the propogator bed, I'm guessing builders as it will hold the moisture for longer, any thoughts?

Steve...:)

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,465
    Tony, sorry to only be getting back to you so late. :love30:

It seems that we are both stumped :scratch: :D.

It's just that I don't understand why there needs to be water around the heater elements/cable :what:. What does the water do that the sand isn't doing?

My cable has been in the sand for 35 years and seems to work OK.

3. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    I have always (30yrs) use sharp sand under and over the cables with no trouble ...And I only stand my plants on the surface ,In the winter I only water the plants but in the late spring I water the sand as well. The last couple of years I have put a capillary matting over the sand which I keep wet in spring and for autumn when I root my geraniums and fuchsias .
    I'm sure there are many variations on this ..

Dave

4. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,465
    I can understand using capillary matting, or keeping the sand damp, in order to keep the humidity levels up :thumbsup: but not sure why the cable needs to be damp.

5. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    I've no idea why the cable should be kept damp either ??

Dave

6. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    I'be had this posted for me on another forum, which should be of some interest here.

Greenhouse Heating

Thanks go to Tee Gee for providing the link.

Shiney and Davy, have a look just after the photo's, it says "keeps the sand moist at all times, thus giving me good heat distribution."

Steve...:)

7. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Well we learn something every day.....

Dave

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,465
    Thanks for the link, Steve :dbgrtmb:, but it doesn't quite answer the question. Why would damp sand distribute the heat any better than dry sand?

I can, possibly, understand that damp sand may originally distribute the heat quicker but once the sand has warmed up it seems to me that dry sand would retain the heat better. The evaporation of the water would have a cooling effect - if I correctly remember my basic science classes from half way through the last century. :heehee:

9. Tee Gee

Tee Gee Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi all,

Re-why I wet my sand!

A lot depends upon how your cable is laid out in the sand and how far apart the lines of cable are.

In my early days I found that I was getting 'hot spots' and needless to say (sods law) these seemed to occur under trays where I least wanted them.

So I tried wetting the sand and I found that the heat was distributed more evenly!

Then I found that the water was evapourating rather quickly so I covered the bed with a sheet of plastic and this did a couple of things;

1) The evapourating moisture condensed on the underside of the plastic and I found that I only needed to wet my sand once per season as opposed to weekly!

This is very handy when your bed is covered in seed trays, it means you don't have to remove and replace them every time you need to wet the sand!

2) The plastic keeps the sand free of compost that tends to seep out of trays and containers, so there was no need to change the sand every year, in fact the sand I am using is the original sand I put in and that was teens of years ago!

3) These are pictures of my bed in use as of a few days ago and how it is today;

So basically all it amounts to is;

Do what you think is best for you, I do ...Tg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • shiney

Ratings:
      +118,465
      Thanks, TG

Your greenhouse and propagator is a bit reminiscent of mine. But yours is much neater!

P1110660.JPG

I like your explanation so thanks very much. :dbgrtmb:

The cable I have in mine is laid out with no more than about an inch between the runs of cable so there are no 'hot spots'. The heat is evenly distributed.So no need to use moisture to spread the heat (didn't even think about it).

I never thought about covering it in plastic :doh: - good idea. I've had mine working since 1976 and don't have sand. Bottom part is sand mixed with a fine gravel and this is covered with about 3" of course gravel. I've never needed to change it - once again, didn't think about it!

It doesn't really get dirty but occasionally some plants, and weeds, seed themselves and the roots of some of the bigger plants that are overwintered in there dig themselves into the gravel. Covering it in plastic will stop that :dancy: