1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solar Powered Fan to aid ventilation?

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Quackerjack, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
    +134
    A target of 85% RH is ideal for temps between 77F and 90F. You`ll find an overhead misting system very useful on hot days.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +614
      Ever thought about those fans that are used with inflatable xmas decorations, I had one once but didn't have a tunnel then.

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      @Jimcub now there's a thought.. No I hadn't. Not sure how much air they would move though.. Could be very good for greenhouse though...

Tunnels get amazingly hot in the summer if no shade when you are talking 27-30 ft long it might take a few of them at least so then we are spending money and not being vey green either.. I gave double doors at each end of mine and I have tried all sorts even a couple of 12" fans but that is not enough... Well not enough in mine to be worth using them..
      I water early in mornings and later in evening when sun is gone and also damping down the path... Tunnels are tricky and thirsty in hot weather full stop.. :thumbsup:

• Quackerjack

Quackerjack Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +5
      Never had an inflatable xmas decoration, I assumed you blew them up with a bicycle pump or something. Live and learn!
      I ended up buying a fan from pkgreen (via amazon, it was cheaper!) and I'm running it from an old leisure battery with a 20w solar panel and controller (which I already had). It is about 6 foot in from the front door hanging off a crop bar. Standing at the door you can just about feel the breeze. Don't think it makes any difference to the temperature (my min-max thermometer said 30deg C today) but hopefully a bit of air movement will do some good.
      My next project is a version of the heat sink that they did on 'It's not easy being green'. My theory is that if you leave a hose pipe out in the sun, the water in it gets pretty hot. So how about hanging a hosepipe in the top of the polytunnel, put a water butt in the tunnel, and pump water from the butt through the pipe and back into the butt. Heat the water up during the day and give out the heat at night. The problem then is to find a pump capable of lifting the water and pushing it through x feet of pipe, with a continuous flow, (some pumps say run for a max of 15 minutes) somehow connecting it to the pipe without leaks, run it off 12volts, and all without breaking the bank. My builder has contributed a 10mm microbore copper pipe roll to the project (he's had it lying around his shed for years) and I've ordered a pump for about £15. Watch this space...

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,169
        Interesting project Quackerjack please keep us informed.

That Dick Strawbridge idea (from "It's not easy being green") has inspired a few people to have a go, I'm not convinced Dick ever got it working and his fundamental design was certainly not man enough even for a small greenhouse. Dick was a tinkerer rather than an engineer or a gardener and only interested in fiddling about with the technicalities of implementation rather than the outcome i.e. a better greenhouse crop. It made good TV but they never showed him picking tomatoes.

You'll find this thread useful, a member had a go a couple of years ago:
        Greenhouse Heat-Sink

• Quackerjack

Quackerjack Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +5
        Thank you for that, yes, very interesting.

• Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
        +134
        Dick always seemed to work backwards, he`d build whatever it was then try to figure why it didnt work, physics and thermodynamics arent his thing ;) It would be great if a cubic metre of gravel/broken glass and a pc fan could heat and cool a greenhouse but tbh a hot cuppa tea (heating) and an icecream cone (cooling) would probably be just as effective.