1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solar water feature

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by borrowers, Jun 11, 2008.

1. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all,
    We have nearly finished the small (& I do mean small) corner of our garden where we want to have a little water feature. we haven't got the means -space or funds or physical capability - for a pond:( but I would like a little water feature powered by the sun.

Yes I know we don't get it much up here:rolleyes: but that's OK. I was looking at the 'smart solar' type of cascading jugs that can use battery when not sunny.

Thing is I was looking around a few places today & didn't see much solar stuff at all. I asked at Peter Barratt & was told they don't sell them any more cos they're rubbish (or words to that effect)!

Is it a waste of time getting one do you think? We don't want it on all the time and it's not a fountain.

Thanks for your comments.

cheers

2. water-garden

water-garden Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    solar water feature, great idea. works in the sunshine needs no mains electricity lots of water, fantastic. Only bit of that that is true is "needs no mains electricity".

In theory they are a good idea, in practice they are not. I did find one website that allowed you to write your comments on the product, i nearly PMP it was that funny, in a nut shell they all said they are as you have been told, rubbish.

You may also want to read this

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Sandra..Ive seen a pic on GC of the water feature you want, I think Kathy3 has one..Im not certain, but if you pm her she will give you advice im sure.:thumb: Dee..

4. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    this is mine Borrowers ,and I love it

[​IMG]

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    That feature is Lovely, really Lovely Kathy3, Looks fab in your garden,I knew I had seen one on GC, Sandra will be (over the moon) you have one and you can give her advice:thumb:...Dee...

6. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks Kathy, check pm.

Thanks for all your advice but i think if Kathy's is working ok mine should too. That is exactly the same as i've been looking for. Good idea to put stones in the bottom too:)

I know purists probably think these are c**p but all we want is a little feature.

cheers

7. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sandra had it for years ,there is nothing that can go wrong with it ,and its so easy to clean,love the sound from it ,go to homebase and see it working.I just pack it up in winter ,bring it out again after the frost has gone

8. water-garden

water-garden Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i am not a purist, but I really would like to know how it goes

i am wondering will it fall over if there are no stones? (or less stable)

also in blue

[​IMG]

been checking for you, homebase have them at £49.99, seen them up to £99.90

9. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks for checking water-garden. I have just checked homebase (we have 2 near us), only one has the teracotta one in store. Not available by web either.

I was interested in a 'smart solar' or 'solar on demand' one & I know they're dearer.

I have seen the different colours on line. It will be on white shingle like stones with a blue fence one side of the corner & blue trellis the other, so i was thinking of the blue one.

Looks like I'll have to get it on-line. I'll have a look in the retailer feedback thread & see if any retailer names are mentioned.

cheers

10. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think they are also available at B&Q if you want to make a price comparison.

11. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    sandra, I think the terracota feature would look great next to your blue fence and white shingle, go for it girl..:thumb:

12. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Oh dear ydd, i've just ordered a blue one:eek: I have spent all morning 'surfing'. Finally got one for £57 all in. the same as Kathy3's except the colour. It has a 2 year manufacturers guarantee. So thought that was good.

Now you've made me think about the colour:confused: We went for blue cos all our pots are brown or green (plastic) so we thought we'd have enough 'teracotta' colour on the stones. It really is only a little area - i'll post a pic when it's finished.

Fingers crossed it comes next week & that we have finished putting plastic & stones down not to mention painting the trellis stuff. It took me 3 hours yesterday to do one side:D Going to do the other side this pm, and that still leaves 2:eek:

Thanks mates

cheers

13. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sandra the blue looks lovely,when I got mine they only had it in terracotta,and the weight of the water holds it down, mine has never blown over,and I get some mighty winds here

14. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    BLUE wll be fab sandra,:thumb:

15. water-garden

water-garden Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    passing homebase yesterday (sat) I just had to pop in.

They had one on display, and it was working, i thought perhaps i was wrong and this one has a high quality solar panel. I needn't have worried, they have solved the solar problem by plugging it in. Which i think is deceptive for a solar water feature.
    The other thing that struck me as odd, was the bottom bowl had a big lump of metal (a large bracket) in the bottom. I am wondering is it to do with stability after all. (only asking)

Pity i never had my camera phone (i thought i had, but it was here when i got back)