1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Some kind of thorn tree but which?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by CanadianLori, Jul 13, 2019.

1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,616
    I have this volunteer tree in the back yard which has thorns. I like it's shape and plan on keeping it after it's dead neighbour is removed.

The berries right now are gree vut they turn black in the fall. I ate one last year and didn't die so I'm wondering if it is suitable for making jellies. Anyone know what this is please?

1563037133508-1080096768.jpg 1563037292229-1466777386.jpg

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    The leaves look a bit like buckthorn.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
      Ratings:
      +3,271
      Agree with mazambo...
      Rhamnus cathartica
      , the buckthorn, common buckthorn or purging buckthorn,

Quote wiki.....classified as an invasive plant in several US states and in Ontario, Canada.

frangula cathartica leaves - Google Search

Never try berries before knowing what you are eating!

Quote wiki.....Toxicity
      The seeds and leaves are mildly poisonous for people and animals, but are readily eaten by birds, which disperse the seeds in their droppings.[9][10] The toxins cause stomach cramps and laxative effects that may function in seed dispersal. The chemical compounds responsible for this laxative effect are anthraquinone[11] and emodin. The species name cathartica and the common name purging buckthorn refer to this effect.

In 1994, R. cathartica was implicated in the outbreak of an idiopathic neurological disease in horses,[clarification needed] although no causative agent was officially identified. In trials where rodents were fed the leaves and stems of R. cathartica, glycogen metabolism became abnormal and glycogen deposits formed in the cytoplasm of liver cells. Abnormalities in glycogen metabolism lead to diabetes in humans.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,616
        I was just reading up on buckthorn but nowhere does it say it is native to my area. It is about 25 feet tall. So it certainly likes it here. :)

Edit: was reading a site that only talks about the UK... silly me!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
      • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,616

Thank you for this information. It's now a sure thing I won't be making jelly from these berries!

• Agree Agree x 2