1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sowing fresh seed.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by silu, Jun 12, 2017.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I grow Mange Tout and usually save my own seed for sowing the following season which works absolutely fine. Last season as it was very wet often the plants/seed pods had gone pretty grotty before the seed had had enough time to fully ripen so I didn't get as much seed as normal.
    My early crop in the greenhouse is nearly finished and I have left 4 pods to mature for seed. I don't have enough dry seed to keep sowing many more batches this season and it would be ideal if I could sow some of the seed which is still on the plants in the greenhouse ie without the seed drying out but something tells me this is a bad idea and the seed is more than likely to rot if I sow it. Am I right or is it worth sowing the fresh once it's fully ripened on the plants by which time it will be dryish but nothing like ones that have had months to dry and get a tough outer skin.Maybe best to just buy another packet of seeds?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Well I think I would buy another packet just to keep you rotation on a roll.. No always ripen and dry your seed first.. Well I do from beans and peas and never had germination problems..

Growing each year from saving your own seed is good for a couple of years, after that the strain will weaken, so always best to introduce fresh seed every couple of years.. Well that's my way anyway.. :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • alp

alp Novice

Mum
      Ratings:
      +962
      @Marley Farley is correct. As long as the seeds are dry, they will germinate. I squeezed out the seeds from my tomatoes which I really enjoyed. Wash them and let them dry out and a few days later, I sowed them, they have all germinated. Way to go!

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Thanks @Marley Farley & @alp. I too save my Tomato seeds (obviously not the F1s)but others that come true from seed. I haven't bought Mange Tout seed for about 4 years so maybe you are right Marley, I'll buy some new stock and ring the changes. Many thanks for the advice.

• Like Like x 1
      • alp

alp Novice

Mum
        Ratings:
        +962
        @silu I personally love, no, looooooooooove sugar snaps.. You can buy a packet and leave the seeds out to dry and grow them. Actually, I have 4 out now, waiting to be planted. They are absolutely delicious ..

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,069
        I used to eat a lot of sugar snaps.
        Not had then for a while.
        With ordinary peas you can weed out the maggots, with Mange tout and sugar snaps you dont.:biggrin:

Really good if you like meat with your veg.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1