Sowing seeds too early.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Steve R, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I run a couple of rows of Dwarf French in the greenhouse for "early". haven't sowed my Runners yet ... actually normally get the Runners from Shiney Special Service :) and we predominantly grow / prefer Climbing French, rather than Runners.

I take the view that pot-on Courgettes, and plant later, suits me better than plant out early and watch them sit still. But greenhouse space can be at a premium at this time of the year

Cor! Jets!

maybe? ...

... I'll get my coat.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +117,296
      I sow runner beans in succession so started them at the end of April. I normally start them mid April but the nightly frosts made me choose to wait a bit. The first sowings are now hardened off and ready for planting out but I'm telling people, as they come to collect them, not to plant out until the Bank Holiday and just keep them slightly sheltered until then. All those are now kept in my covered pergola so protected in case of late frost (don't think we shall get any).

The succession sowing (50 each week) now has some a couple of inches high, some just poking through and others only sown yesterday. These are to replace any failures people have (slugs/birds/rabbits etc.) and to tope up my stock as, for the first time in ages, germination was only about 85% (usually over 95%).

French beans were started off later and I'm only just now starting to harden them off.

If buying from a GC I would be inclined to wait until at least the Bank holiday to see whether they had survived the possible poor attention they may have received whilst on the shelf.

My courgettes won't go out for at least two weeks.

We don't plant toms outside because of possible blight. The ones we have been selling (about 12"+ in height) we tell people to continue to harden them off for another couple of weeks at least if intended for outdoors. Our own, in the greenhouse are in flower.

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Is that an option for some Runners?, or are you "all reserved and out of stock" like all the online plant sellers that I look at! (and of those, when I have placed an order despite dire warnings that there isn't a hope in hell of them shipping anything to me any time soon, the plants have arrived within a couple of days ... )

My Tomatoes are seriously over-stretched, so if you have varieties that I would not be desperately trying to avoid ("Moneymaker" - I'm looking at you ...) then I'd be up for some of them too.

You aren't far away and I could use the excuse to stop off at Langthorns Plantery foir some retail therapy :) I like their range of plants, and quality.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

Ratings:
          +117,296
          @Kristen

Until they last few sowing have appeared I don't know whether we have spares. We had over 600 ordered and didn't do many extra as we couldn't open the garden.

I'll have to see about toms (consult the oracle) but she says she doesn't think so. We're off to a plant sale in a village near here this morning where they have advertised veg and fruit plants for sale. I could pick up a few for you.

Re sarcococca, Mrs S has just a few seedlings alreayd but can do loads of cuttings if you're popping down. PM me or email if you want me to pick some up for you as we're leaving in an hour.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Thanks, but I'm both too late for that kind offer and too fussy :) I'll be wanting named varieties that I am comfortable with rather than "some Tom plants" ... :)

Your stock position is as I expected and on balance we already have Dwarf French planted, and they will definitely tide us over until Climbing French (if sown today :whistle:) will come on stream.

I'll cross my fingers for my neglected Toms. I expect they will be fine, they just haven't been given the best of starts ...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +117,296
            If your climbing French don't do well I have some extra Blue Lake on the go and have just sown some Bridgwater.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,996
            French beans are supposed to be slightly hardier than runner beans, easier to fit under lights indoors and cover with protection outdoors, so should be best to plant first.

If I sow runners early, I pot on into deep rose pots after they've sprouted in a propagator before they become rootbound and give them a stick.

• Like Like x 1
              Last edited: May 22, 2021
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              "A stick"? I'm figuring that might be "Some stick" to get them to get on with it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                +28,996
                The sticks

IMG_20210522_200131946.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                  Ratings:
                  +3,698
                  Topic subject now on video on my Youtube channel "Green Side Up", with a gardeners corner mention and link in the video.

• Like Like x 2
                  • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +5,078
                    That was a surprise @Steve R
                    Bit of a fan of your channel. Subscribed when you hadnt hit the 1000 subs mark yet and look at it now. One of the best gardening channels on youtube . Nice one :)

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                    Ratings:
                    +3,698
                    Thank you Wee Tam, that is very kind of you to say that.

Steve...:smile: