1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Spikey hedge! Need ID

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Radiation91, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
    +724
    Hi all,

I've got a spikey hedge which runs all the way down the side of the garden. It's probably a well known plant but I have no idea what it is. :redface: Can someone ID it please?

20150830_152201.jpg

Also, I want to cut it down a few feet because it's pretty out of control at the moment. Is it a plant that will send out new shoots and "fill out" again? I don't want to cut it down and it just look like a bald mess!

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rad, it looks like a Hawthorn ( Crataegus ) ( May tree ) to me. Not sure how you prune them.

3. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    It's Hawthorn, very common an an excellent hedge, flowering in spring and produces berries in autumn if left untrimmed. You can cut it back as hard as you like and it will sprout strongly again in spring

4. Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
    +724
    Oh for heavens sake! :doh: Of course it is!! :doh::doh::doh:

I had Firethorn stuck in my head. Ok so it's a Hawthorn and it can be chopped right back... brilliant!

Thanks @Anthony Rogers and @Redwing !!

Bonus question: Is there an easy way to cut it without getting spikey twigs in the soil? I'm still finding them 1 month later :frown:

5. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got an old blanket or something like that you can lay on the ground under the hedge, and then as you're cutting all the bits fall onto it. Then all you do is collect it up and you've then got all the bits in one place to dispose of as you like.

6. Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
    +724
    No I haven't, but I'll get one! I've used a blanket before but it didn't work (can't remember why) but I'll give it another go. Cheers