1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

St Paul's and the Occupy The City Protesters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Melinda, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    The Dean resigned today...

Thoughts?

2. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,297
    My thoughts are it is all pretty SAD

They should be doing their protest OUTSIDE A BANK

There was a couple on the News last week saved up for years to visit the UK From USA
    Could not visit StPauls as it was shut, first time since Adolf tried to rule the world
    DISGUSTING

(I have experinced the same though not the effect on two cruises through the Suez canal, I have done it a few times so not a diss appointment in fact it was better as we saw different places, But two couples had saved all their lives for THE retirement CRUISE to see the PYRAMIDS sorry we are not allowed to visit Egypt we will visit Cyprus instead, they were devastated and will NEVER see the PYRAMIDS as long as they live)

Two clergy put in a position that has ruined their lives
    That should never have occured

If they want to protest well and good, but outside the banks not the Cathederal

What they do not put on the TV as it would offend, is not so much the tents as where they are DUMPING THE EXCREMENT

Dog treetreetreetree in carrier bags hung on fences has nothing on these people

Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 4
    • Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +865

It's time this country invested in a few water cannons - and no, that's not supposed to be a pun.

• Like Like x 1
      • Bimble

Bimble Gardener

Ratings:
        +34
        What angers me more is when companies like Vodaphone avoid paying £6 Billion in tax at a time when everyone is struggling to find money and pay for the rise in the basic costs of living. :mad:

Did St Paul's really have to be shut ?

No

Did the closing of St Paul's turn public opinion against the protesters ?

I'd say so.

Our ancestors fought hard for the rights we have today, and it seems a little unjust to allow big business to avoid tax when we all have to pay it.

Does anyone else feel like we are being riped off in this country for fuel, gas, electric, water rates ?

I sure do.

• Like Like x 6
        • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,729
          What gets me is the 49% pay rise that Britain's top bosses have managed to extract; their incomes now average around 113 times the average annual wage (£24,000 pa). The usual excuse is that, rather like the bimbos on the L'Oreal ads, they're somehow 'worth it'. If the last few years have shown anything at all, it's that many of them have been worth diddly squat. The only thing which appears to be special about a substantial number is their uncanny self-belief; they genuinely think that they're not like ordinary mortals. I suppose it's small wonder, when many still manage to escape with substantial golden handshakes even when it's clear that they've been utter rubbish.

It might only be a small number of people who can command silly money, but it's disastrous for morale at a time when so many people are scraping around to pay their fuel bills. It's the ultimate expression of the 'I'm all right; up yours!' culture which you see echoed further down the chain. Don't get me started on those bottom-feeders, the spiv buy-to-let landlords. I was hoping that the recession might at least bury them once and for all, but unfortunately more and more people are finding it necessary to rent. I once read an interesting post from a charming landlord on a money forum. He was incensed that one of his tenants had demanded that a boiler, which had gone wrong in mid winter, be fixed immediately. 'What do they think it is?', he asked sweetly, 'a bloody hotel?'.

• Like Like x 5
          • Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
            +437
            Communist! *points at Clare!*

Actually I agree with you.

• Like Like x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,497
              I'm not able to voice on here what I think of the banks :mad: :mad: :mad: but I have to agree with Jack that outside St Pauls is definitely not the place for this protest.

• Like Like x 4
              • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                Ratings:
                +6,543
                I was listening to Victoria Dearbyshire on the radio last week and she was talking to one of the protestors by phone and the protestor was actually saying that they had no intention of camping out at St Pauls as they were on their way to one of the larger banks i think it was but when they got to St Pauls the Police were the ones who stopped them going any further so in the end they decided to camp where they have been for the last two weeks and that was outside the Cathederal.....

• Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
                +437
              • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,729
                PS ... A bit off topic and I know I promised not to go on about buy to let landlords, but .... the same individual who was in a froth because his tenants required him to maintain his boiler delighted in the username 'Property Barren ' :heehee:. He was fond of waxing lyrical on a central theme: how people like him had made the country 'grate' :yay:. Unfortunately it was impossible to poke fun because he just didn't see the joke. When he started posting that people like him were the powerhouse go-getters of the nation, as opposed to the lame no-hope pygmies who rented his houses, I replied with two words: 'Gerald' and 'Ratner'. I don't think it rang any bells, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +46,169
                  If a group of travellers camped outside st Paul's they would have been moved on by now. What's different about this lot? They don't even know the difference between a bank and a church.

• Like Like x 4
                  • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                    +28,997
                    That sort of thing has been going on for ages:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
                    • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,729
                      On the news this evening Emily Maitless said that the clergymen had great sympathy for the protesters; they just didn't want them outside the cathedral. It's Vanessa Redgrave all over again. She had every sympathy for the Dale Farm travellers, but somehow she never got around to offering them a pitch in her own back garden.

• Like Like x 3
                      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +16,246
                        The protesters had every right to stage their protest . Saint Pauls have handled the situation pathetically . They seem more interested in the importance of their precious cathedral and rich vestments, rather than doing the christian thing and trying to help the situation. I hope a few of the squatters get inside and claim sanctuary - if thats still possible !

• Like Like x 2
                        • HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
                          +883
                          The good book does say though:

5:7 Cast all your anxieties on him, for he cares for you.

• Like Like x 1