1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Staking Saplings

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by BrianA, Jul 14, 2021.

1. BrianA

BrianA Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As I sat in my fledgling garden admiring my second-season eucalyptus (its already 9 feet tall!), I wondered about the benefits and disadvantages of tying it to a stake in its early years. The first 4 feet was staked at planting, and is stiff, but above that a week of wind left it decidedly bent downwind. I extended the staking to 7 feet (to straighten it), but now the top 2 feet above that is blowing about. That's ok, as I am not worried about branches angling above head-height, and will let it grow naturally. On the other hand, the 'trunk' is quite thin.

My point is - is staking stopping the trunk of the young tree from thickening naturally to give it strength, or will it still 'stiffen' anyway and allow me to remove the stake in a few years? Am I doing the tree good, or just storing trouble for later?

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,512
    Staking is usually done to support the trees whilst developing roots. If it is staked for too long the tree doesn't need to work so much at putting down good roots to stop swaying. Swaying in the wind also encourages the tree to develop a stronger trunk. It's the way the tree becomes able to withstand damage from strong winds. Normally an absolute maximum of 2 years is recommended but most trees don't need that.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • BrianA

BrianA Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      It was planted in a completely new plot, so the soil was loose and unsupportive. Perhaps I'll remove the top stake soon, but leave the lower stake in for another winter, with the ties eased off a bit to allow some 'baby' swaying.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,050
      My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree.
      But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good root hold.

If you cut it back in spring for the first couple of years it will become more stable before going upwards.
      It will go upwards when left to its own devices, so no problem there, but it will have made good roots and unlikely to get root rock in the future

• Agree Agree x 1