1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Jasmine grown from a large trough/container

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Brind, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Brind

Brind Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I have a large brick shed wall I'd like to cover with Star Jasmine. Problem is, I have a concrete path around the shed. The path leads up the side of my garden passing two sheds, so I'm not going to remove it.

So, I thought I'd make a large but slim box for the vine to grow out from. The path is stepped three times but the level I want to put the box on, is just over two meters long. So I thought I'd make the box about 1800mm long... so it sits in the middle. The height, probably about a foot high. The depth, like I say, slim! This is so I can still walk up the path without tripping over the box :dh:. So perhaps have the depth at maybe 150mm.

So this box, although slim, will be pretty big. My concern is, what is the root system like on Star Jasmine vines? Would it appreciate being confined to a box? I'm sure it's not ideal, but it'd be happy enough I'd have thought.

So, over to the experts, do you think it'd be okay? :)

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Brind I don't think the box would be suitable it's a bit too narrow and would be susceptable to drying out in summer is it not possible to cut a hole into the path without taking the path up so you can plant it in that and still walk past? Star Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides ) can take a couple of years to get established and can be frost tender below -6c.

3. Brind

Brind Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, thanks for the reply. :)

Taking the path up or cutting a section from it isn't really an option. Judging by other concrete I've removed from the area, I can only imagine it'll be stupidly thick. Councils back then enjoyed pouring concrete to the centre of the earth!
    It'll certainlly be good if I could.

The path has a depth from the wall of about 1200mm (if I recall correctly) so I could make the box much wider if needs be.
    Instead of my 150mm, I could easilly make it double that and make it 300mm or even 400mm.

What sort of size are we talking when you say 'established'?
    The wall I'd like to cover is at a wild guess, 7 meters wide (less if you discount the window and doors) and 2.4 high ish. Would it be such a highly drawn out process to get this plant to do what I'd like?
    Fingers crossed, I don't think -6 temps down here will be all that common.

Thanks. :)

4. Brind

Brind Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    It suddenly occurred to me.. I have a diamond core drill so I COULD drill two 5 inch ajoining holes in the concrete and plant it. I'm guessing the path is around 7 inches thick. The only other thing I then have to worry about is the footings for the shed! Hope they don't extend under the path. As it'll be a true journey to the centre of the earth!

Will roots always head down to find more soil? because I don't think for a second, they'd enjoy 7 inches of concrete. hehe

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Shouldn't be a problem drilling the concrete drill a series of holes close together in the shape and size you want (chain drilling) then bolster between the holes and remove the chunk of concrete it will not affect the shed footings,once you have removed the concrete dig the stale soil out of the hole and fill it with some good compost before planting your Jasmine.