Star Jasmine Help?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Fattyfish, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Fattyfish

Fattyfish Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,
    I bought an evergreen climbing jasmine a couple of years ago that was in bloom when I purchased it. It was planted in a container at the bottom of a rose arch and continued to flower and smell beautiful for months. The following year all the leaves turned yellow and started dropping off. This year I topped off the soil with some fresh potting compost and used some liquid feed and it seems to be doing really well and looks very healthy, but no buds or flowers? I believe its supposed to flower from spring through summer?

I only know this plant as (Star Jasmine)? there was no label with the plant so not sure of correct / best care.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. IMG_2884.jpg IMG_2885.jpg

2. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    Morning Fattyfish (like the name :)),

I'm guessing but a change of plant food might help - one which promotes flowers with a high phosphorus content - the P of the NPK numbers.

I bought a jasmine last year - it turned yellow and the leaves fell off - but this year its growing like a rocket and has flowers. Same happened to a copper beauty honeysuckle - in for one year and it's already covered half of the garden arch.

Enjoy your garden :)

3. Fattyfish

Fattyfish Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice clanless. Ive just checked the feed. Its "all purpose miracle grow" just checked the numbers and letters and its NPK 6 3 6. So I'm guessing a different feed with the higher middle number. Who knew? Ill have a look for this.
    Thanks again.

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Actually, it is not a member of the jasmine family, Star Jasmine is the common name of the evergreen climber Trachelospermum. It is not fully hardy. Start feeding it fortnightly with a half strength tomato feed. This should encourage it to start flowering again.

• Like Like x 2