Steve's Polytunnels

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Steve R, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Yup, that's exactly what I did and why I did it. At the start of the year before the other tunnel fell apart, the plan was to extend and widen this tunnel ( I have all the extra needed tubing for this), but with the cost of a replacement tunnel it was cheaper to buy this replacement cover for now and extend/replace with poly in a few years time.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Tijs

Tijs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +8
      Hi, new here and just bought a similar galvanized polytunnel 10X20. My idea was also to put polyethylene foil with wooden frame on instead of the delivered cover.

I just read this thread on another forum where an owner of a similar tunnel states that this is not possible with the 25mm tubing because of the tension it would implode.

As you have several of these tunnels for a couple of years already and also where planning to do the polyethylene cover, do think this really could be the case without extreme conditions?

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      Hi Tjs and welcome to Gardeners corner.! Of course it can be done, I helped a my friend on the next plot to me do exactly that.

It is a galvanised frame and three years ago we re-covered it in proper polytunnel plastic, the tunnel is as strong as ever, has withstood 100mph wind gusts and is as good today as when we put it on.

I will have a look back through my photo's to see if I have any of my friends tunnel and post them up today, if not I will take some photo's tomorrow and post them for you. So do check back today/tomorrow.

These galvanised tunnels are a lot stronger than the older/cheaper white powder coated inferior frames.

• Like Like x 2
      • Tijs

Tijs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +8
        Thanks for your reply, it's exactly what I was hoping for. I'll put some pictures of the garden setup soon. It consists of the polytunnel with 6 2m * 0.5m wooden raised beds and outside again 6 raised wooden beds 2.80m * 1.20m. Also some fruit trees planted directly in the ground as well as a wild flower garden.

Watering will be setup with 2 IBC tanks connected with a gardena 1030 card low pressure timer along with PE tubings and drippers.

In the greenhouse I'll try melons, aubergines, tomatoes, cucumbers and different varieties of peppers.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,698
        Here we go then Tijs, as promised some photo's of the 25mm galvanised frame re-covered and in it's third season. As you can see the cover is under tension and trenched in and has withstood 100mph gusts. No signs of it caving in anytime soon..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
          Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
        • Tijs

Tijs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +8
          Great! Thanks for putting the pictures on the board.

Is the foil the only thing holding the tunnel to the ground or did you also use pecks?

I'm planning to use 22 40cm pecks on each long side on the frame to keep it on the ground. Here in Holland the weather can be wild sometimes.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,698
          We anchor them very well here, we have to because we are quite exposed too. On the last tunnel I put up I used 4 foot stakes (1.2M), I hammered these into the ground, 2.5ft ( 0.75M), the stakes where wood 2.5In x 1.5in (6.5cm x 4cm) thick. I used 6 down each long side, so 12 in total. The door frames also add some rigidity as they are buried 6 inches (15cm) under the ground too.

I do not think these are substantial enough, think bigger and stronger. Basically, a polytunnel is a giant kite, a bit of wind and it will fly.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
          • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
            Ratings:
            +3,698
            I just want to reiterate about these tunnels, DO NOT buy the white powder coated framed versions, they are hopeless and will rust within a couple of years.

Buy these cheap tunnels with the galvanised frames, they are far superior. There are two types and I have one of each, one with two central ridge bars and a newer one with three which is a lot stronger.

After you have received it there are various ways to put it up and customise it and everyone does it slightly different, but it must be anchored well, they are essentially a giant kite so they must be rock solid.

You can have a good look through this topic at the various ways I have done it, including the my latest method of using scaffold boards and fixing the tunnel to that, now adopted also by our @Webmaster Nathan (See here http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/my-polytunnel-s.96549/ ) You should also look at @Scrungee polytunnel topic (See here http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/my-£50-polytunnel-from-ebay.31800/), he raised his tunnels in a different manner again and added internal timber bracing that doubles as removable staging for early season plant growing on.

In short there is a wealth of info, help and advice here to help all buy and raise a cheap tunnel and make it last.

• Like Like x 3
              Last edited: May 18, 2015
            • Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
              +2,879
              Steve, the above tunnel which has been recovered, don't the ridge bars touch the cover at all, as I found mine did, and I put anti hot spot tape on those bars. I didn't put tape on the second bar up from the ground though (but you have :) ), as mine doesn't seem to touch at that position? :scratch:

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
              Ratings:
              +3,698
              I have not used any anti hot spot tape on any of my tunnels at all. It was suggested that I did not really need the tape way back when I bought my first one, as they are not truly plastic covers, ie as they have the reinforced mesh in them.

Over the passage of time I have not noticed anywhere on these covers where anti hot spot tape would have been of benefit.

Eventually these covers will be replaced with proper polytunnel plastic covers, then I will use anti hot spot tape as that type of cover does require it.

The above tunnel is my plot neighbour, Billy's tunnel, that new proper tunnel plastic cover is in it's 3rd season now with no signs of degradation at or near the ridge bars, despite it having no AHS tape there. I think he ran out of tape...lol.

• Like Like x 2
              • Tijs

Tijs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                +8
                After a busy time I continued and finally found a way to today to secure it. I don't think it'll take of now. I used large pole holders and secured those with thick rings which just fitted on the poles with some hammering. They are now 60 cm in the ground and secured with two thick rings and bolts. Tommorow I'll put the cover on. I'll use sail rings (32 of them) on the double folded flaps which I will tighten with strong uv resistant tie raps to the bottom frame. Now lets wait for some storm :).

20150523_194437.jpg 20150523_194824.jpg
                20150523_193627.jpg

• Like Like x 5
                • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                  Ratings:
                  +3,698
                  I have bought a third polytunnel, not one of the 10 x 20's that I already have but something much more substantial.

It is 5 hoops that are 18 feet wide and the length when I bought it was 25 feet, it sits on foundation or ground tubes at 9 feet tall. The hoops are 50mm diameter, and I have yet to decide how far apart to set them and therefore determine the tunnels overall length, probably around 24ft, but I could go upto 32ft.

The seller used this tunnel with a net on as a place to harden off plants grown in their massive 60ft greenhouse, a lot of the hoops in the photos below are plastic pipe to help support the net.

Fortunately the seller had a massive garden and had bought a JCB to landscape it, that was used to pull the ground tubes and concrete out of the ground once the tunnel was taken down.

The tunnel cost £100 and will be put up in the spring.

I'll be taking one of my other two tunnels down, keeping the cover as a spare and the frame will then be covered in net and used as a walk in brassica frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
                    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
                  • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                    Ratings:
                    +14,123
                    Oh wow that is great Steve and I love the idea of a walk in brassica net tunnel, I shall be watching this with great interest.. My tunnel is 24' and it is a great size, but if you can go bigger then I would.. :thumbsup:

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
                    Ratings:
                    +3,698
                    After measuring up I've decided that 28 ft will be the final length, so it will be 28 x 18 x 9. One of the first things in will be a grape vine...

• Like Like x 3
                    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                      Ratings:
                      +14,123
                      Oh that is a nice size Steve I shall look forward to seeing it all..

My friend has a wonderful grapevine in his tunnel it is coming up 9 yrs now.. He gets amazing crops from it, but he hast the roots planted outside the tunnel the vine brought in through a pipe at ground level at the end where he has a single door but not used so it was ideal... He has trained it all along the tunnel and gets amazing fruits.. He says with the roots outside the vine copes well with watering and he mulches it as they like plenty of organic matter for strong vines.. He tried it with roots inside to start with but much smaller and less fruits as he felt the watering was a problem he said it was always thirsty. whereas when he put the roots outside it cured the problem.. Lovely bunches now.. :)

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1