1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Stopping Grass in its Tracks

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by SteveAllart, Aug 26, 2008.

1. SteveAllart

SteveAllart Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, 1st post, so please be kind :)
    Hope this question is in the right discussion area.

Recently ripped up a bed, weeded, de-grassed and laid down thick black weed prevention so I could put gravel down. Have a handfull of plants that grow through the matting.

I'm still having grass pushing through the web matting which looks untidy, whats the best solution?

Should I have sprayed a grass killing liquid over the soil first?

Many thanks

Steve

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "Should I have sprayed a grass killing liquid over the soil first?"

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD, ANY PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTOR WITH COMMON SENSE WOULD HAVE SPRAYERD THE WEEDS OFF 2 WEEKS PRIOR TO WORKS. THIS IS BASIC KNOWLEDGE.

As someone profesing to be a professional gardener then you ought to know the answer to this question. I hope this particular job wasn't for a paying customer.

From the fact that grass has suficent light to sprout, I would also deduce that you have scrimped on the quantity of gravel used.

Personally Im not a fan of membrane, my aproach would be to spray off, excavate to 4" - 5"", compact soil, lay 2-" 3 " of type one, compact with a plate, then 1.5"- 2" of decorative chippings. If I felt the need to use a membrane then it would be between the soil and the type one.

The finished job pictures on your website are 'intresting'.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I tend to agree with you there, Paul.:thumb:

4. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Also, funnily enough, any gardener knows that grass and weed seeds grows in shale or such, and not necessarily through membrane. That's one of the big problems with gravel paths or areas.

PS. I do not purport to be an expert in gardening...but I have learned over the years.

Think you are being a bit kind Paul.

5. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Steve.

I don't know how long you have been in business, but you obviously have a lot to learn other than posting a web site (and not a very good one at that, if you don't mind me saying)...this is not so much a criticism but advice mate.

Low maintainable gardens, does not necessarily mean decking and shale all over the soil, that just destroys a garden. I am disabled and have a low maintenance garden, with lots of soil and flowers and plants yea.

If you wish your business to flourish for more than a few years, I would suggest you do a lot more reading, or horticultural education. I wish you luck in your endeavors:thumb:.

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    When I put down some gravel in my garden, I covered the ground reasonably thickly in old newspapers first. Then I laid the fabric and covered with gravel. The newspapers will suppress the weeds, but rot after a while.

I find gravel good, but not perfect. Some things will still try to grow. But perhaps the worst part is that in time the gravel fills with earth (when I spill it) and other things such as rotted leaves. And they can't get washed down by the rain because of the fabric.

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Peter, thats why I advocate the use of compacted type one, this way detritous becomes compacted in and less of a source for weeds.

Roman roads and carttracks were all made on this principle without any fancy membranes.

If for some reason I was aked to encorperate a membrane then it would be a technically desighned one like teram not the chepo woven polethene type so commonly sold. The only reason membranes are popular is becuse they shortcut time ..... only in the shorterm.

The same principle aplies when using bark instead of gravel.

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Once a gravel pathway is already in situ how would you go about compacting it?

9. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Get an elephant to walk on it ya daft begger.:thumb:

Sorry mate, couldn't resist that. But seriously...gravel paths are not low maintenance....lower than grass one's of course, but no matter whether they are compacted or not, airborne seeds will grow in them.

Sure they look nice and feel nice to walk on or drive on but that's about it. If one would like a gravel path, then the best bet is to concrete it and put gravel on top of the soft cement and layer it in with wood...don't stand on it for gawds sake.

10. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, Steve. All the advice you're getting from the pro's is spot on. (As usual:))
    As an answer, I'd spray with Roundup and tell the punters that it rained within 6 hrs. of spraying and so the poison was ineffective.:) Hope this helps. PG please don't get on my case, we all have to learn:) and lots of people don't have your vast knowledge and experience. The guy's learning, give him a break:)

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I don`t suppose you hgave one of those in your menagerie do you darling?

I can only jump on it so much tha knows laffer!

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Once a gravel pathway is already in situ how would you go about compacting it?

Not a lot without taking it up.

13. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I'd spray with Roundup and tell the punters that it rained within 6 hrs. of spraying and so the poison was ineffective.

Cajary, that made me smile!!!

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Oh well-weeding it is then. I was thinking of just dusting on some dry mix-would that be a mistake?

And please before anyone starts no laughing yer `eads off ( I don`t know why I bothered saying that)

15. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey cajary, I'm not a pro, just experienced yea. If you set up a web site saying you are a gardener etc, then you have to be able to back it up, so I don't think anyone is being unfair.

Yo lol...not sure what you mean...you mean a premix sand and cement mixture to seal it....not sure whether that would work as I have never tried it. If you put it on and water it with a watering can, it certainly wont beggar things up. Depends how thick the gravel is. You may have to do it a couple of times to finish the job though.Sounds like a good plan to me. :thumb: