1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing Autovents for winter

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Jungle Jane, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    Got myself an auto roof vent a few months back and understand I have to take it out so the tube doesn't get damaged by the frosts.

My question is where and how do you store the tubes? I was just going to bring it into the house but wondered if the constant warm temperature would do it any good at all.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Jane, as far as I know there's no evidence that the Winter and freezing cold conditions damage autovents. I've left my autovents on through the Winter and they work just fine the following year.:D

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I've never removed mine either.
    Cant see how cold can damage them really.:)

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    I've never thought about removing mine. Where did you read that JJ?

5. Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I think it was a review for an autovent I read somewhere (possibly Amazon). Seem to remember it said also to stop high winds damaging the window in the roof itself.

I guess I will leave it in there then. Thanks everyone for making me feeling daft again lol

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Naaaaah,JJ, I don't consider that was a daft question. There's a lot of stuff that needs putting away for the Winter, and I certainly don't always do it. I've just come back from a Plant lecture where the Lecturer was saying he found some gardeners were planting their new plants still in the shop bag........now that's daft!!:heehee:

• chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,616
      i had the same thought myself when i had my auto vent a few weeks back, ( it said on maintainance that it should be removed durring winter months ) but never said why, i havent put mine in yet but i can guarantee that once in it wont be removed lol :loll:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,193
      No need to feel that was a daft question JungleJane. It certainly made me think there was something in it, and was wondering if they were using a different material in the new auto-vents. If the instructions say to take them in for the winter then maybe that should be done. I lost my instructions years ago and probably never read them anyway :)

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,297
      I do not know but it states when you buy it stick it in the freezer for a day before installing it ?
      Only had mine since June, but a friends father with a greenhouse installed his in 1994 and without removing it it still works fine even today

So it is a NO from me, leaving as it is

Jack McH

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      My Bayliss autovents have remained insitu complete for over 20 years, but what I do when all the plants are finally out of the greenhouse is remove the screw knobs that adust the opening width so they aren't working againstheavy glazed timber opening lights when it isn't necessary which may or may not extend their life and eleiminates the possibility of birds from getting in when I'm not checking it regularly. I hadn't thought about wind, but it's in an extremely sheltered location.

• Like Like x 1
      • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        I found the instructions for the autovent yesterday and even that says its quite safe for me to leave it in place over winter. I still have no idea where I read to overwinter the tube, it must have been on the internet.

My greenhouse is in a bit of a exposed spot for winds so would like to keep it closed as much as possible during high winds. I too have a Bayliss autovent and I guess will have a bit of a fiddle about with it today.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,077
        If its a Bayliss, you just need to unscrew the end nut until it comes off.

Then the vent wont open, you can just leave the cylinder in place.