1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Straggly Conifers - any ideas?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by portoman, Jun 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. portoman

portoman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I planted this about 6 months ago but they are looking a bit thin. How can I grown them "fuller" as well as higher? I water them regularly and use plant growth products on them every so often.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Rule of thumb for most long-living plants:

The first year doesn't count

They take the time to develop some roots, get access to water and nutrients and mostly try not to die.
    In the second year however, they usually start to grow like crazy and you will get the "fullness" you are looking for. So be patient

• Agree Agree x 2
    • portoman

Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks - a friend said I should trim the bottoms of the conifers to encourage taller growth - is this true?

• Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
      Ratings:
      +1,136
      No idea there. Normally I prefer to trim them right above the ground and then plant something more useful :blue thumb:

But that's just a personal preference. Better listen to the other gurus here, I only know a dozen ways to reliably kill them.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,048
        I think you need patience.
        They will take at least a couple of growing seasons to start to fill out.

What kind are they?
        What does the label say.

• portoman

Ratings:
        +2
        They just say "Evergreen" on the and label and not a lot else! I wasn't sure what types existed so just asked a local garden centre to deliver me some.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,048
        Sounds like a typical label that they put on plants these days, not really worth putting it on there.

Just a guess, but they look like fast growers to me, possible Leylandii.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,390
        Hello portoman, are they planted so the top of the rootball is covered with soil? I can't tell from the photo, but if the roots are exposed then it might be a good idea to mulch over them, avoiding piling soil or mulch around the trunk itself. When you water them, trickle water slowly into the rootball, as well as soaking the surrounding soil. As long as the roots don't dry out in the first summer, they should establish well and romp away through autumn, winter and next spring. Once you see signs of new growth, you can give them a light trim with a hedgetrimmer or shears. That will encourage them to bush out and will keep them narrow, because you can't chop them hard back into old, brown wood.
        Looking ahead, when they've reached 50-60cm above the required height, then trim the tops.