1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Straightening a holly tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Gn0me, May 14, 2020.

1. Gn0me

Gn0me Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    I've noticed it is starting to lean further away from the wall.

I'm thinking of using some kind of ratchet strap to gradually wean it upright.

Is this feasible and if so should it be gradual over what length of time?

Is there a better way or just not possible?

As you should see in the photo, the previous owner grew it in a bucket but I'm assuming the roots are in the ground as well!

[​IMG]

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,206
    Hi,

Its general shape is quiet good , or a light pruning could tidy it up a lot.
    However the tub and lower truck do look odd.

Plants usually go after the light, does that corner get much sunlight, it looks like its going to the right to get more ...?

Think it will be impossible to straighten it, its just too big and old to correct, or if you can to some degree pull it all more upright, feel sure its still going to look out of balance.

You could put something to cover the tub so it doesn't look so obvious, does it have lots of berries in autumn?

Sometimes you just have to say, lets get rid and put a new one or something else in there ...

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,050
    Looks like its next to the fence and under another tree, not ideal.
    Cut the bigger tree down and it might straighten up on its own, but I think it is a lost cause bearing in mind it has that pot around the base.

4. Gn0me

Gn0me Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for your advice.
    It is reaching for the light, the sun rises behind that wall.
    The other tree is a cherry and is next door's.
    I'll try and tart it up a bit by giving it a small haircut and see if anything else can be done.
    Thanks again.

5. Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,591
    If the tree is needed, I would take it out of the pot and plant directly into the soil. Heavy job, but possible. Is cherry tree decorative or fruiting? If not allowed any berries I would chop all the branches hanging over your property (it's legal).

6. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,206
    Always better to have a word with your neighbours first before chopping any branches, can save a lot of conflict, even if it is legal for you to cut them off; you are technically supposed to politely return said branches.