1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Strawberries - Are Day Neutral and Everbearing good for only one season?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Aldo, May 4, 2019.

1. Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,318
    Until this season, I have only grown June bearers, keeping the old plants and planting new ones from runners.
    We are now at the third year and the oldest ones look battered, so I will remove them from planters and tubs and move some to soil, to give them a last chance to fruit and put out runners.

I will replacing them with some new June bearers, but also with a mix of 30 or so day neutral and everbearers. A few I planted last year mid-summer, so they are one year old but never fruited yet. They look quite happy and flowery. The rest are new and I have been growing them in small pots from bare roots since 6 six weeks.

Is it true that everbearers and day-neutral varieties are only good for one fruiting season and then are not worth the effort and the space taken, and should be removed?

This would be useful to know, because it will determine where and how I plant them.

Thanks for any advice :)

Aldo

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,101
    The ever bearers ive got are a few years old and still fruit well. Amazing taste but very small fruits. Crop right up till frosts. Might be great if i gave them more time and effort.
    June bearers are better imho.

• Like Like x 2
    • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,318
      Thanks! That is very good to know, I am glad I will not need to remove them next year.
      In the end, I agree that June bearers are better as for the fruits. Ours did very well last year.
      But a costant supply of berries over the Summer is a very attractive perspective, it might help luring my kid to the garden more often..
      It might also help luring the gardener to the garden more often, right now he is feeling extremely lazy, I should get off my couch and start transplanting before it rains again :D

Thanks again for your advice!