1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Strawberry growing problems...

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ricky101, Jan 5, 2018.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,206
    Hi,

Have tried growing strawberries, many times with various varieties from decent sources.

Tried them in pots in the greenhouse or on the patio, in growbags, in the soil, in raised beds but probably half the crop looks like this pic where they just seem small and have lots of tight folds, looking unpleasant.

Had assumed it was down to pollination and have tried using a soft brush as so few bees around that time of year, but not really that much improvement.

Any tips as to the better way to grow them, thinking of using buckets with the bottoms removed, direct on to the soil, so giving them plenty of height to stop the fruit spoiling on the ground /slugs.

thanks.

000596.jpg

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    • Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      I’ve not grown strawberries often. Mostly, I’ve grown them in the ground, and we’re fine. On the one occasion I grew them in a container (strawberry tower) they really didn’t do well. I found it difficult to water. When watered, it mostly ran over the sides. Since you’ve tried different methods, I’m at a bit of a loss as to what might be causing this. ‘They’ do say that young plants shouldn’t be allowed to fruit in their first season, could this be an issue? :noidea:

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,206
        Thanks for that link, not a site I had come across, just got the photo from a google images search.

Seems pollination could be part of the problem, as well as all the other factors that site mentions.

Will follow their methods and see how we go.

Likewise, found a tower method the poorest of them all, think its just too small an area for them; like most plants you can grow them close together but they never reach their full potential of properly spaced plants.

Not sure how many seasons we can keep them as the last few years have seen the dreaded vine weevil around.
        Buying well grown pot plants instead of bare rooted runners probably the best way to ensure a first season crop.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        I discovered vine weevil grubs in my plant around this time last year. I emptied the pot, hosed the roots and used tweezers to get out the grubs wedged in the roots (must be mad!).
        All the soil I put into a freezer bag and them microwaved the lot; yes, even the grubs in the soil :paladin:
        Perhaps I was just lucky, or just in time, but the plants did recover and I had a select few fruits this year.
        I grow mine in a hanging basket and use straw as a mulch. Water daily. Haven't had any deformed as in your image, but, my biggest issue is that something gets to eat them before I do :doh:
        This year I've planted all my strawberry runners into my veg trug. They may or may not get moved when the weather warms up; haven't decided yet.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,206
          Must be a big microwave for all that soil ! :smile:

You ought to put some grease/bands around the legs of your tug to stop the adults climbing up.

Had some growbags up on a similar greased structure and never had any wevills or slugs that year, but a lot of distorted fruit and don't think the suggested 6 plants in a growbag offer them much growing space.
          Looking in some old gardening books they all say space , in the ground, at 1.5 ft apart and even wider between rows.
          Plus you really do need some netting to stop the birds.

Begin to wonder if they are a lost cause for the small urban garden ...?

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            :lunapic 130165696578242 5: Batches, my friend; batches ;)

Thank you. :thumbsup: I tried a version of that one year with a fuchsia in a pot (to prevent slugs); I smeared the rim with a thick layer of Vaseline. Never knew whether it really worked or not, but moving the pot when I'd forgotten it was there was a right mucky business! :heehee: I'll give the grease bands a go :dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1