1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Strawberry Tower Planter Dry

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Rob Miller, May 18, 2015.

1. Rob Miller

Rob Miller Gardener

Student
    Ratings:
    +25
    Does anyone else grow strawberries in towers like these?

I always find the bottom couple of levels are bone dry and although the water comes out the bottom of the planter and onto the patio, it doesn't seem to be moistening the soil on the bottom. Even if it has been raining, only the first few levels get wet. I fear I'm going to loose half my plants.
    Grow-Tent.jpg

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,095
    I dont think it rains heavily enough to water the bottom ones. You could try adding water crystals to help maintain moisture in them.

lm growing mine in 4 gutters this year, about 12x4 plants up against a cream wall getting equal water and light.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Rob Miller

Rob Miller Gardener

Student
      Ratings:
      +25
      That sounds like a good idea. Do you have a pic of your setup?

Never used those crystals before, where is the cheapest place to buy; probably eBay?

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,095
      Cant post a photo as im away from computer. Basically I have 4 lenghts of squareline guttering running at a slight slant horzontally one under another so when required water will run from one into another until it reaches the bootom where it will empty into a bucket that will have a pump in it to return the water to the top gutter again and so on.
      When the strawbs are done it will be used for salad crops through salad instead.
      Guttering and fixings cost c.40 and I had the pump already. It should last for years.
      As regards crystals about 3.50 for asmall bag, but I did hear that nappies contain them also and are cheapersometimes, not so sur about doing that mind:th scifD36:

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Oooh, aren't you clever @WeeTam :thumbsup:

• Rob Miller

Rob Miller Gardener

Student
        Ratings:
        +25
        Ah that sounds like a good setup! Is there soil in the gutters or is it like hydroponics?

Nappies in the strawberry pots. Lovely. Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,095
        Yeh, mpc with about 30% sharp sand. First year doing it but so far plenty of flowers and the light reflecting from the wall seems to be helping them.