1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Strawberrys on fence

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Gizmo, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
    +851
    Hi I was thinking of having strawberry plants on our wooden fence and thinking what would be the best containers to get for wall mounted so strawberry plants will grow or is it a good idea

Many thanks for your help and advice :idea:

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    I think it is a nice idea. There are actually quite a few "hanging" strawberry plants on the market.

I personally would always recommend to attach the flower pots really tight to the wall using screws and bolts.

But I guess it would be easier for you to make a photo first so we can see what kind of fence we are dealing with.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
      +851
      many thanks for your reply i have taken a couple of pictures of the fence we have put bamboo fence around as well

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,206
      Think you will get a much better crop if you plant them by the front edge of your raised bed so they cascade down the front of it.

Wall mounted ones will limit their growth due the small growing pocket /compost and will need very regular watering on sunny days.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
        +851
        Many thanks for your reply. Not to sure if strawberrys are OK for dogs in the garden and if rocco will take a fancy to them hanging down

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,206
        From the web it says Strawbs are safe for dogs, suppose its more how safe they are for you if he cock his leg up on them, partic with a uti !! :doggieshmooze:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
          +851
          Many thanks for your reply. The www has of different advice about xyz.
          I am concerned for rocco so I thought for the strawberry plants would be better higher up and it would be better if he did not wee on them :thanks:

• Agree Agree x 1