1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

strawberrys

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by duckyjuk, Jun 26, 2008.

1. duckyjuk

duckyjuk Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When do i take my strawberrys off the plant has I have took some off what are red and ripened but the next day they have gone mouldy..should i take them off before they get red and with the stalk still attached to them? please help as they are beautys/

2. Plantsman

Plantsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I would be taking them off when they redden - perhaps a little bit of yellow still remaining. Whether you remove them with the calyx on or not does not affect the keeping qualities as far as I know. Refrigerated they should not mould for several days. Mind you, I can't see any strawberries in my fridge ramaining uneaten for more than a couple of days.

3. David_Schmavid

David_Schmavid Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm growing some of these and they are taking for-ever....i wonder if i'm making some mistake. the biggest berry is still light green and about the size of a couple fingernails at most.

4. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    mine have been doing ok just the birds have been taking them wouldnt mind but one of them was carrying a pot of cream.

5. Mrs Bobs

Mrs Bobs Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine are looking great in their tower pot and covered in netting so the birds can't get at them. Only the snails to worry about though the netting helps with them too. A shame I'm off on holiday for a week though as I'm bound to lose a couple bowlfuls that'll rot on the plants.

6. Mrs Bobs

Mrs Bobs Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They might just be a later season strawberry David. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll ripen and taste gorgeous soon. Just keep watering and giving the odd feed.

7. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Especially at this time of year! it's nice to have some whilst you are watching the tennis.

8. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I was always told to leave the calyx on as they keep better,i only try to pick what i am going to eat immediately ,off the plant ,quick wash,and introduce to cream :thumb: