1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Strawbs! Do I need to start new plants?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Snorky85, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    Speaking as someone that has grown strawberries for many years, the short answer is yes, start new plants from the runners. Then do the same next year.

Not getting a big harvest from the plants is normal. Mine usually give the biggest crop on the second year, sometimes third. Then it starts to taper off. That is the reason for taking new plants from the runners. On a three year cycle, at least one set always crops heavy.

The variety of strawberries in my garden were originally planted in the 1950's. To change them for a newer variety would be unthinkable to me. As friends usually say when they eat them "these taste like strawberries should."

• Like Like x 3
    • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
      Ratings:
      +6,133
      IMG_1909.JPG
      @Snorky85 and to the more experienced veggie growing on GC might i be wrong in suggesting that these Strawbs appear to be a little-congested :noidea: no criticism just an observation of course:imphrt: from my own limited experience i have found Strawb's to be a very greedy plant in the nutrients department - so when i invested in buying Strawbs ....sadly didn't have anyone with delishee oius old varieties like :frown: @Sandy Ground. They were a bit pricey at the time so i only bought five plants and so they ended up well spaced out in the generous trough that i had ready for them and they gave WONderful large plentiful fruits -Now i have to confess they didn't get the same benefit of feed this season as im sure most of it was washed away with the amount of rain we have experienced this year, that coupled with less Sunny days didn't make for a particually fruitful 2017 :fingers crossed: 2018 will be an improvement. And as an aside interest I did invest in one of the newer varieties at a later date it had a glorious write up and was a white version so one i wasn't familiar with ...one of the so-called new and improved versions ;) so i went for it and :gaah: total waste of time ...now i maybe being somewhat harsh on that variety as a novice Strawberry grower, but again it was the top end of the price bracket so rather an expensive whim/fancy... so needless to say i wouldn't rush out and replace it - My main growing experience that came inherited here has been with the wild strawberries - now if i could get their fruit a wee bit bigger i would strike gold :star:IMHO nothing compares to their flavour and i certainly don't mind having them romp away as they are soooooo busybee friendly:yes: -Yummy yummy- Win win methinks :hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,599
        Although I've dabbled with strawberries over the years I've never really grown them seriously.

I have heard, and come across viruses that affect strawberries and the advice is to replace with new stock every few years, not something I have done;)

But some years ago I did come up against raspberry virus and the crop just dropped one year but the plants still grew ok.

Just for a bit of reading, and I dont like posting links because we can all do that, and speaking from experience is much better, but here goes.:smile:

Strawberry viruses/RHS Gardening

• Like Like x 2
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          My thinking too Pete :)
          Down here pick your own strawberry, gooseberry, etc. farms are a familiar sight.......they reinvest in new stocks regularly because of virus build up.....viruses are now more rife and devastating. And crops are rotated. They also trial new varieties and invite customers to taste them. Some were extremely tasty. Some were awful.
          I grew 3 different varieties last summer. I will grow another new variety too next year because I think some of the newer varieties have exceptional taste and quality :)

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,599
          Its all about pick your own pumpkins around here at the moment ;):biggrin:
          Sorry well off topic.:sofa:

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
          • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
            Ratings:
            +6,224
            Well that was an interesting read :biggrin:

I'd root the runners.

Bought some from asda (no idea of variety) few years back, they have got better with each year but they did go from a strawberry sack to the ground, next year they'll come up and be refreshed.

On the allotment I decided to take strawberries quite seriously, I ripped up all the old ones which was bit of a shame as they could have been tasty.. anyways, planted new ones from lidls - korona and elsanta (supermarket shelf usuals) and they were both very nice although I think I preferred the korona, bigger in size and bit less sweet. Apparently, these are the usual June croppers, although the elsanta tried putting out flowers/fruit at the end of Aug.. weird weather? I dunno.

I've just ordered with Kings Seeds, Flamenco. no idea when they'll turn up to be honest. These are supposed to crop from end of June to Oct.. we'll see! No idea on taste as I just thought I'd like some strawbs throughout summer.

With feeding, I mulch with grass clippings as soon as I start mowing my lawn in March and give a handful of chick poo pellets every now and again. I probably could give them more love but meh, the alpines do well without anything. Which reminds me I have some seed for alpine types for next year.. apparently, these clump anddon'tt send out too many runners. I could send you some seed if you like?

• Like Like x 2
            • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
              A few years ago, I was having a chat about strawberries with a lovely lady by the name of Ulrika Carlson-Nilsson. She was at that time employed as a Biologist/Researcher at one of the Agricultural Universities here.

What she told me was that for home growers, the better sorts were the older varieties such as Zephyr and Senga Sengana. These are still available, and are considered to be sweeter and tastier than newer varieties. The only disadvantage that they have is that they cannot cope with transport and storage as well as the newer varieties. If I remember correctly, by "newer" she meant varieties bred after about 1980. Thats simply because newer ones are bred for transport/storage/yield, not taste.

Newer varieties are not more virus/disease resistant than older ones. In fact, generally speaking older ones are better in that respect. The lack of virus/disease etc. is down to commercial growers being able to use chemicals that are not available to the general public.

My own experience ties in exactly with hers. I have never treated them with any kind of chemicals, or for that matter, even fertiliser. In fact, I've not even moved them around to various places in the garden as is often suggested. Despite the fact that the original plants date from the late 1950's, they are still healthy.

• Informative Informative x 2
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                This will be down to personal choice .......dont think anyone is going to persuade anyone else:). Hey! This is fine...we are gardeners and have our own ways of doing things:)

I have found modern varieties of some soft fruit to be better but not always......for instance, Cambridge Favourite strawberry has always been one of my varieties here; a good old reliable and delicious variety :) On the other hand, Ben Sarek blackcurrant, a replacement for older varieties, gives me twice the crop with superb flavour. :noidea: I am also looking at one or two of the latest varieties. Stockbridge Arrow, a relatively new variety of rhubarb, is far tastier and more productive than any other variety in my opinion. The ancient but evocative "granpa's favourite" was disappointing!

Completely removing old plants that are no longer productive is also my own preferred option and, for me, it is a good one. There is a limit too to how often and for how long plants can be rejuvenated I think so do we replace with the same or try the newer ones?

In the ornamental garden I have replaced some old varieties too.......increased and more beautiful flowering, better foliage and more robust systems. For instance I would never go back to growing japanese anemones now.....Wild Swan anemones flower all summer from spring, the flowers are more beautiful and they do not become invasive. Of course, I have lots of old plants....they are sentimental and they are good. Room for new and old I think:)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
              • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                Wheres the limit though? As I said earlier, my plants date from the late 50's, which is around 60 years ago. They are still productive, therefore, replacing them at present is not only pointless, its a waste of money.

• Like Like x 3
                • Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  Sandy, I agree. You are doing something right so no need to change anything. :)

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31,885
                  Well, you can't get much better reference than that!
                  Thank you for sharing it with us :thumbsup:

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +21,653
                  Completely agree with this; I've also grown them for a while and they need a good year to establish properly before giving the harvest you expect. I would also thin that patch out a bit and add a bit of manure if you can. You can pot the runners so they don't congest the more mature plants.

I found this year my daughter went nuts for picking her own!

• Like Like x 1