1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Succulents going brown

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by momo1103, Apr 12, 2020.

1. momo1103

momo1103 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

New to this forum :)

I have two succulents which have been doing quite well until recently.
    They recently have been going more and more brown and I'm not sure why?

I am watering them when they are dry (not more than once a week at the most and usually around 2-3 weeks. The soil is always dry when I do.

I don't think I am under watering them.. They have been getting a lot of sunlight lately and in a hot room due to the hot weather. So I am going to move them to a cooler shadier room but wondered if that would be too dark for them?

Is it time to repot the smaller one, or will it be ok for a few more months?

IMG_1685.jpg IMG_1686.jpg IMG_1687.jpg IMG_1688.jpg IMG_1689.jpg IMG_1690.jpg IMG_1691.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Difficult to say, but browning is often when a plant gets more sun than it is used to, moving them to slightly less sunny spot might help, but dont get too dark, acclimatization to brighter condition is probably best.
    Dont think I would repot either just yet.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,591
      The first seems to be aloe, the second is haworthia. They are browning on the sun. I try to keep my haworthia on the windowsill where it gets morning sun only. I don't like the soil plants are in. Are they sitting in the same substrate as bought in 5.5 cm pots? It's not good for succulents, it's light peat/coir based. I either buy ready succulents mix, which has sand included, or mix my own: clay soil from the garden plus a mutipurpose compost and sand.
      These plants are being usually sold in peat based compost, maybe because it's light to transport. But peat absorbs much water when watered, and if it dries out it's sometimes difficult to wet it back.
      I would replant into heavier succulent compost and water when compost dry as you do now.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
      • momo1103

momo1103 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +6
        Thank you :)
        Yes the taller one is an aloe and when I bought the smaller one the label said it was a Gasteria Okavango.
        I have moved them to a shadier area of the room, and the aloe seems to be going greener already but the smaller one has no change yet. I watered them a couple of days ago so I will wait until the weekend to water again.
        Yes I think I do need to get some succulent mix.

• Like Like x 1