Such a thing as a low maintenance Rose?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Kevin Cowans, Jun 9, 2018.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,286
    With respect @Doghouse Riley my friend,no one has suggested in your words "plant and forget"
    How hard is pruning once a year,spraying if needed,I personally never feed or water my Roses and they always thrive well:smile:

2. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,048
    Hello @Sheal

I lost my patience a while back with everything that is going on in my life and I mislaid my sanity some time back, probably down the back of the sofa :)

Thanks for the kind words, I know it will take a while to get things how I want them but I am trying to focus on the destination and not the journey.

Kevin

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      There are still bits of my garden that look like a building site. I don't like it like that but I don't currently have the financial or physical capability to do anything about it. This year I have been focussing on the areas of the garden that are visible from the house. All the plants I have I bought cheap last Autumn, divided them where possible, and potted them up to overwinter. As money is particularly tight at the moment, I have determined not to spend any money on the garden for the foreeeable future. Thankfully there are still plenty of jobs to keep me gowing. Later in the year I might look into a skip for all the building rubbish.

20180610_173612.jpg

Over winter I made a list of the jobs that wanted doing and when they should be done. I'm getting through them nicely. I have already started a similar list for next year.

:snorky:

G.

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,286
        Good evening @Jack Sparrow good for you my friend you talk a lot of sense,and your garden looks just fine :smile::blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830
          You are making a good job of it on a low budget! Been there, done that; it's not easy but definately worth the effort......I became a compulsive cutting taker.:biggrin: Years ago we needed a hedge and couldn't afford the plants.... so I dug up (with permission) hawthorn and blackthorn from nearby country hedges. Then I took hardwood rambling rose cuttings and just poked them in the hedgerow. 90% took and became part of the hedge which to this day looks great! Gardening on a budget is really rewarding!

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,830
            I agree......mostly....but they are so prickley!:frown::snorky::SUNsmile::mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
              Ratings:
              +10,847
              As a low maintenance rose...High sheriff patio rose. Got it for 5.99 from local garden centre last year (or year before). I've only ever pruned one out of place stalk on it and cut back dead heads when it needed and it is beautiful! Love it.

IMG_6130.JPG

• Like Like x 4
              • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +9,232
                I think you have been given lots of good advice, @Kevin Cowans...

I would be tempted to spend a few summer evenings (or rainy Sundays!) looking at the bare-root catalogues/websites. The advantage of buying bare-rooted plants is you get a much bigger selection, as well as more for your money. If you are not ready to plant them when they arrive, you can pop them each in a large pot, with compost, where they will happily wait for a few months, whilst you prepare their permenant home.

Not wishing to upset anybody, but I think that there are two general types of gardener.
                - those that are keenly on the look-out for any pest, disease, or problem in their garden, ready to leap to their plants' defence with pesticides, fungicides etc.
                - then there are those who assume that if a plant is happy, and healthy, it can cope with greenfly, whitefly, black-spot, or whatever it is that ails it.
                If you are in the first camp, then yes, roses can be high-maintenance - they do get greenfly, etc.
                If you are in the second camp, you will have chosen roses that are not prone to black-spot, and you will wait for your blue-tits to make a feast for their chicks from the greenfly, enjoying their acrobatic antics as they "harvest" them.

We grow lots of different roses. Ancient patio roses, rugosas (yes, @wiseowl, they have been spared for another summer!), modern "fancy" roses, David Austin's English roses, some old species roses.... they all get pruned once a year in spring, dead-headed, and mulched -um - when I remember! The blackspot comes and goes, but the roses survive, and thrive!

• Like Like x 6
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +89,286
                  Good afternoon @Sian in Belgium my friend great post,well put together and easy on the eyes :goodpost:;):blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1